Homemade Single stage Snowblower

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #21  
Nice job on the build. It does look like it works better going faster but still looks like it needs some kind of auger or something to feed the snow in. Depending on the type of snow it seems like it just pushes the snow instead of blowing it.

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #22  
nice job on the build. i know it's already built, but wonder If you had the impeller made much bigger so its closer to the ground? Lets say you will only have 1 inch at MAX before snow needs to go up then into the single stage impeller ? I think this would resolve some of the snow pile up.

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #23  
Dave....I told you I would post a picture of the attachment which my dad added to the snow blowers he produced. Note the beater bolted to the center of the unit. It sure helped these little plows out and was a low cost solution for an economy plow. But, as I remember it was not the total solution on this model as frozen chunky snow (from city streets and such) would still push at times...unlike on our bigger, twin rotor machines (which also had "knives" mounted further out on the rotors) to break up frozen chunks.

Also, note the flip chute. We also had a tall chute (with substantial bracing) which would load over the side of dump trucks for street clean up...used these primarily with a front mounted plow which was mounted on a loader.

These were real good units if you could feed the snow into the blower. I still see many units that were produced in the 50's out there working. I hope this sparks a solution for you.

Attachments

• snow plow.jpg
    snow plow.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 3,229
   / Homemade Single stage Snowblower
Thanks, that looks like a pretty simple solution and I will try some incarnation of that idea.I am limited by about 1.5 inches of shaft so will have to machine a tight fitting hub. Probably will have to use 540 PTO instead of 1000 rpm with an unbalanced auger.

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #25  
Yep....a hub which you can attach a plate to would be the best solution. Back in these times I don't think there was any 1000 RPM PTO speeds yet. The speed really wasn't the issue tho...as far as I can recall....it was ALL about FEEDING that blower.

Note the bolt-on arrangement at the shaft...which may allow you to try different configurations or do a replacement/repair. We did replace a few of the beaters as people would run 'em into fence posts and such. Also, I think they were about 3/4" solid rod which was inserted into a hole in that center tube and then welded. They were bent to the back to encourage feeding into the blower....but I think they mainly mixed the snow up a bit and broke up the mass thus allowing it to enter the blower. I don't recall an out-of-balance issue with this attachment...and don't recall any special balancing that we did in making the assembly. I think if you get things lined up pretty good and straight....and keep similar weights and length in the bent beater rods....you should be ok.

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #26  
As foggy noted regarding something to break up the snow, I saw this on craig's list.

ARPS 3-point snow blower

This one looks like it has "hammers" to break up the snow. Just another idea.

Nice videos!

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #27  
heres the pictures from the above c-list add for future reference - never know when the add will expire.

i saw another version of this a few weeks ago on c-list in my area and was going to post asking about it because i had not seen on before. It was a 3-point attachment but it mounted forward so you drove over the snow and then the blower would be pulled into it like the one posted on the first page. Pretty cool idea.

One thing i noticed on your design vs. the one posted above and by the foggy1111, their is no lip between the chute and the blower...they just flowed into each other. This maybe something to look at if you still can't get it to feed after adding an egg beater to the front of the shaft.

I am amazed all the time at the level of fabrication and speed at which people are able to accomplish things on this forum.

Good luck with you egg beater add on .... i am looking forward to seeing this thing really blow some snow.

Stew

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 1,229
  • IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 1,625
   / Homemade Single stage Snowblower #28  
Very nice build and fast work too.

I plow with my Jeep, but a blower for the tractor would be nice. Let us know if you add a beater bar to your build and how that works out.

Vic

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower
I built a two blade propeller yesterday, as well as made up some spacers to eliminate some interference issues. I shortened the PTO shaft 1/2 inch. My top link at its shortest setting won't allow the blower to sit level so I still have to see if I can cut it down an inch or buy a shorter one. I am 220 miles from the tractor and blower so it will be two weeks before I can do a retest. It is supposed to be up in the 50F range the next two days, so guess I will be hoping for some snow in two weeks!

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #30  
david - perhaps you could cut the bottom off so the snow would feed directly into the chute instead up the lip then in chute. Granted the egg beater contraption could help to lift some of the snow up but you probably would be better off with bottom lip removed.