Homemade Single stage Snowblower

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower
The bottom section is 1/4 thick and would take a lot of effort to cut down (no electriciy so would need to bring a generator or take everything home). I will try the propeller first and it does not work, I will try it out on the 4,000lb massey. My Kubota with loader is only about 1250 lbs and I loose traction before any snow actually gets pushed passed the unit. I see that all the comercial units are close to the ground so I suppose its all a combination of that, plus the inline auger and the single vertical bearing support.

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #32  
Dave....I told you I would post a picture of the attachment which my dad added to the snow blowers he produced. Note the beater bolted to the center of the unit.

Thats exactly what i was going to suggest, after the thought i had when seeing the pics, was confirmed after seeing the YouTube videos...

The trick would be to make these paddles in such order that they pull the snow in and not blow it around, over the machine and operator.
I guess the design in your picture has crystallised over the years by trial and error, so this should be the way to go...

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower
In my zest to build a propeller to help the snow into the impeller, I forgot about the comment regarding getting snow all over the operator. I had to improvise with a piece of plywood and vice grips to spare the worst of the snow shower. I have to say that the blower now works great and once I extend the hood it may remain a useful addition to the family. Next summer (hopefully not sooner) I will have to replace the shaft with something longer as I only had an inch to work with so the propeller does wobble around alot.
I had to work the massey to make a pile of snow to blow.
Massey plowing snow
YouTube - Massey Furguson 135 plowing snow
Low speed snowblowing
YouTube - Homemade Single Stage Snowblower 3
top gear snowblowing
YouTube - Homemade Single Stage Snowblower 4

Attachments

• IMGP0225.jpg
    IMGP0225.jpg
    543.4 KB · Views: 1,334
  • IMGP0224.jpg
    IMGP0224.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 1,682
   / Homemade Single stage Snowblower #34  
Nice!! Looks like it eats the snow pretty good now. I see you are definately going to need some kind of top shield to keep the snow off your back.

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #35  
Nice build Dave. Are you running at 540 or 1000 PTO.
Bill

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #36  
Way to go Dave! Looks like your feeding it pretty good now. The arps hood design shown above may be just the solution to the snow showers....lol. It appears as though just a small deflector would help out alot.

From my past experience....keep that shroud as small as practical.....as snow likes to bridge on anything it can....especially when wet and refrozen.

I'm glad you got it blow'in...nice work!

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #38  
The test run looks really good. Very nice work. Let us know how it performs when you try it in some deep snow.

Vic

/ Homemade Single stage Snowblower #39  
Nicely done. You all made me briefly think about building one too, but then I took a sip of coffee and my mind cleared. I have a long drieway with limited areas to push up snow, and I currently use a 6' box blade.

So invigorated to provide someone with a bailout, I went on to Craigslist and lo and behold, found this unit, below. The guy wants $650. Ouch! Whaddaya think I should offer?? Or shouldn't I? It really looks nifty.

Attachments

• vintage snowblower.jpg
    vintage snowblower.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 2,083
   / Homemade Single stage Snowblower #40  
I imagine the reason he is asking $650 is because if it is like around my area, there is a demand for those pull type blowers. Besides the advantage of not straining your neck, the older tractors that don't have a slow reverse, but have slow forward gears they would need a pull type blower. Just my thoughts.

Cheers,
Dale