Making a 3 point Quick Hitch

/ Making a 3 point Quick Hitch #1  

MJPetersen

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM 1510-D
I have been fascinated by the quick hitches that guys have sworn by or at here on the forum--the Harbor Freight example in its 2 versions of different widths is a favorite or a curse--depending on who you talk to.

I now have several tools that I have made and have had occasion that I wanted to swap back and forth, but the hassle has stopped me. For example I might haul a few loads of dirt with the scoop, and then want to level it out with the blade or the rollover BB.

Although I have not seen one of the QH up close, I have pictures from you all, and I have given it some thought to build one for myself, for my 15 hp Yanmar, but had not taken the time to do it. Until now--it is not finished, but I had a few hours so got started on it. I made the "J" hooks out of 3 pieces of 10mm flat stock. I used a hole saw to cut the 7/8 hole and an angle grinder to cut the slot. Then I welded the 3 pieces together. The latching mechanism will use only the weight of the metal to close the latch. The center piece was left out on the back of the "J" to allow a place for the latch.

Now if the QH does not fit I will not be able to blame manufactures of the implements or the hitch--it will be my fault. :eek: I am going to have to modify the BB toplink connection so that I can use the QH, but the other implements should work.:confused: We will see how well I conformed to standards when I made my implements!!

Mike

Attachments

• bottom J hook.jpg
    bottom J hook.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 2,155
  • J hooks open.jpg
    J hooks open.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2,575
Last edited:
   / Making a 3 point Quick Hitch
After getting the "J" hooks like I wanted them I had to figure out a latch mechanism. I think that what I did will work well--time will tell.:D I attached an arm on the latch which extends inside the frame. To that arm I attached a rod that extends out the top of the frame and I capped it with a knob that I can push down on to force the latch into lock position.

The latch can be held in the open position by the little pieces of pipe that will just clear the top of the frame when the latch is fully open. It is simple and it should work--I think.

I tried it out with my simple 3 pt ball hitch for a utility trailer and it seemed to work well, so far.

Now I have to make a top hook and fabricate the tractor side. Maybe later in the week I will get to finish it.

Mike

Attachments

• J hook with latch.jpg
    J hook with latch.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,535
  • latch closed.jpg
    latch closed.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,012
  • latch open.jpg
    latch open.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 995
  • with ball hitch.jpg
    with ball hitch.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 2,249
   / Making a 3 point Quick Hitch #3  
Very nice work. Nice and clean. I like your latch assembly. Hopefully it'll still work after it gets some dirt in it.

/ Making a 3 point Quick Hitch #4  
Looks good mike, guess there's no harbor freight in Poland.
I've always followed your projects with interest partly for you resourceful work and partly because my wife's from Poland and I've been there 3 times.
She's from the Krosno area and still has her sister and father there.
I've traveled all over from Warsaw, east all the way from the north to the south. never been on the west side of the Country.

John

/ Making a 3 point Quick Hitch #5  
What a nice job, I would order one but the shipping would be outrageous. Must admit I am envious about the roll over, absolutly one of the best implements ever made IMHO.

Thank you guys for your very kind comments. Jimmer, The tolerances are not such that a little dirt should gum it up. Although I did have to spend some time today trying to clean out some of the little splatter balls that had adhereed to the inside of the latch mechanism.

John, I have not been down in the south East corner of Poland. I have a friend who is a pastor in Bochnia and another in Nowy Sacz, but not further East. I have crossed the border at Przemysl though. It is very pretty down there with the beginnings of the mountains.

Nine, Thanks for the kind words. I do like the rollover too--but there are some real craftsman on this forum who have made some pretty awesome tools. I made it with my simple tools to prove that anyone could.

I was able to do a alittle bit on it today, maybe I will get a chance to take some pictures later today or tomorrow.

Mike

/ Making a 3 point Quick Hitch #7  
I bought one of these a couple of years ago from a company called Homier Distributing Company, Inc. they used to travel around the country and have portable sales. It was pretty light and I didn't give it much hope that it would hold up, but I didn't pay much for it either. Surpisingly, it has held up quite well, and has turned out to be 'THE MOST VALUABLE ATTACHMENT" I've ever owned. On the advice of others here I drilled out the holes in the top hook mounting to accept 1/2" pins to make it easy to adjust.

/ Making a 3 point Quick Hitch #8  
If you order one online from Harbor freight, the shipping is calculated by price, not weight. I bought a hydraulic cherry picker for my pickup and the freight was 12 bucks.

If you order one online from Harbor freight, the shipping is calculated by price, not weight. I bought a hydraulic cherry picker for my pickup and the freight was 12 bucks.

That would not hold true for shipping to Poland!!:eek: If I had the possibility to buy one at harbor freight I would have and just modified it to suit, but alas such an option in not available to me.:( But it does give me an excuse--errr reason to make it myself. :D

I believe that I am going to enjoy the QH very much--not so much because my implements are so heavy that I cannot move them, as that is not true--well the rollover is a real strain, but because I want to be able to quickly change from one implement to another. Even if it is to just move them around so that I can mow the grass around where they sit.

Mike

/ Making a 3 point Quick Hitch #10  
I believe that I am going to enjoy the QH very much--not so much because my implements are so heavy that I cannot move them, as that is not true--well the rollover is a real strain, but because I want to be able to quickly change from one implement to another. Even if it is to just move them around so that I can mow the grass around where they sit.

Once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you ever did without it.