Chute deflector operator for snow blower

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #21  
Can you fit a stiff like 8" spring into one end or another to keep tension?
Jim
I was thinking of some sort of tensioner. Maybe something that keeps a mower or automotive belt snug.
I'm open to suggestions if anyone has one or if someone else has done a conversion from hand crank to electric winch on a wind around cable type chute.

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #22  
Mint have to or consider having the whole winch on some sort of flat bracket that would be allowed to move , and the tension would pull the complete winch to maintain the tension.
I was hoping some of the others would chime in , I searched her for an old thread, as I know someone did it the way your doing it. But I just couldnt find the thread

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #23  
Mint have to or consider having the whole winch on some sort of flat bracket that would be allowed to move , and the tension would pull the complete winch to maintain the tension.
I was hoping some of the others would chime in , I searched her for an old thread, as I know someone did it the way your doing it. But I just couldnt find the thread

If the winch has a electric reversing system the below may help.

The cable on the winch is attached at one end to the drum (I know... "duh"). the free end needs tension to pull it out even if there is a power reversing otherwise the cable birdsnests on the drum.

But, if the cable was shortened up, one end run under the drum and attached to the drum the winch would pull on the cable if it was in forward or reverse. Take a look at the picture and see if I am onto something.

chute%20rotator.jpg

Powered rotation in either direction would move the cable in either direction. One would probably need a few winds on the spool to meet the length requirements, but the drawing should prompt more thought.

But, if the winch does not have a powered reverse, this will not help.

Stuart

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #24  
Your picture looks workable, Stuart. I just need to find a way to attach the free end to the winch spool, as there is only one hole with set screw on the spool the way it is now. The winch does indeed power both ways. The problem now is the birdnesting that you mention and the cable binding upon itself.
So I'd either need to modify my spool to have 2 anchor points on it, or come up with some kind of idler or tension pulley on the cable.
I've got my eye on a Honda air conditioner bracket/pulley combo that adjusts tension with a long bolt on ebay. On the other hand it may be possible to drill/tap the spool and add a set screw.
Thanks for taking the time to think about this and come up with a diagram for me.

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #25  
I used the same setup on my snowblower. Make several turns around the chute with the cable. I used a hose clamp to attach the cable to the winch drum. Been working fine for 9 years.

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #26  
Actually got a second hole through the spool and a hole drilled, tapped and set screw installed.
Now, what is the secret to cutting the winch cable so that the ends don't fray and I can push it through the spool?
Not much in the way of wire rope cutters when looking online at Lowe's or Home Depot.

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #27  
I spent several hours today and didn't get far. I'm finding that the cable has to be kept wound tighter around the spool than I can pull it by hand to prevent birdnesting when winch direction reverses.
I've decided to go with this tension pulley from ebay:

!BOPiiK!!2k~$(KGrHgoOKjsEjlLmWUfiBJtrfcf4Hg~~_1.JPG

But the blower came off for the season today, so this project might be on the back burner for a while.

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #28  
Actually got a second hole through the spool and a hole drilled, tapped and set screw installed.
Now, what is the secret to cutting the winch cable so that the ends don't fray and I can push it through the spool?
Not much in the way of wire rope cutters when looking online at Lowe's or Home Depot.

The way that I cut cable is to put about 3 to 4 turns of masking tape wrapped really tight at the area that you want to cut. Then make a mark in the center and cut it with a high speed cut off wheel like on a dremmel tool (wear safety glasses!). Leave the tape on and it will not fray.

Stuart

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #29  
The way that I cut cable is to put about 3 to 4 turns of masking tape wrapped really tight at the area that you want to cut. Then make a mark in the center and cut it with a high speed cut off wheel like on a dremmel tool (wear safety glasses!). Leave the tape on and it will not fray.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. Will keep that in mind. As it was, I could get most of the way through with a mini tubing cutter and then snip the last strand with lineman's pliers. Wrapped with electrical tape immediately after. Not optimal, but served the purpose for the day.
I have a high speed rotary tool from Sears (very similar to Dremel), but seldom use it and forget that it's there sometimes. Will use your trick next time around.

/ Chute deflector operator for snow blower #30  
Start with LOTS of cable, then clamp the middle of it to the winch drum and wind it around the drum in both directions with the ends going to the chute then at least half way around the chute when it is in the middle position. Fasten the ENDS to the chute. Ideally you would have the cable clamped to the middle of the winch drum with the bottom of the whinch drum covered with cable, half going in each direction, (assuming that half a drum will give you enough swing on the chute). You don't need real heavy cable to make it work, 1/8" aircraft should do it as you should only need a coupla hundred pounds to move the chute, even when frozen up.
I used 1/4" round rod to make cable guides just to sorta keep things in order and keep the cable at the right end of the drum.