building a loader for kubota L3000

/ building a loader for kubota L3000 #1  

kysculptor

I want to build a loader for my L3000, nothing huge I'm thinking a 36" bucket.
My land is mostly wooded and hilly and I don't want a huge bucket in my way all the time. The local dealer wanted 5000$ for loader w installation but I can't afford that kind of $ especially now that my business is slowed to a stop. I make custom metal signs/ furniture/ sculpture. Figured while I was waiting by the shop phone I'd put some scrap to use and all those welding machines.
The frame seems fairly simple but I can't find a source for the pivots for the arm. What are they called and where can I get them or a cheap alternative?
Also, the tractor doesn't have a hydraulic output for attachments. Can I just tap into the existing lines somehow? If so, how can I figure which one? The spec sheet says the hydraulic unit pumps 7 GPM at 2200 PSI. Any advise would be really appreciated.

/ building a loader for kubota L3000 #2  
I believe I have about the smallest tractor Kubota makes at 12hp on the 2 cyl diesel. If you have a 3PH you likely have onboard hydraulics, though I don't know your tractor. Look just to the front and towards the right of your seat for a valve. There will be a plugged output, and the big selector switch will have an arrow on it. On mine the arrow pointed to the left which is the position for 3 point hitch operation. I made a loader for my tractor with a 36" bucket.

Attachments

• 100_1139.jpg
    100_1139.jpg
    776.5 KB · Views: 533
   / building a loader for kubota L3000 #3  
Can I just tap into the existing lines somehow? If so, how can I figure which one? The spec sheet says the hydraulic unit pumps 7 GPM at 2200 PSI. Any advise would be really appreciated.

If you don't have a readymade system to tap into the hydraulics, you can cut into the pressure line from the pump. You should have two lines to/from the pump. The pressure line will be the smaller one. The larger one is the return line.

You'll want to read up a bit on hydraulics if you don't already have a fair understanding. There are some great threads over in the hydraulics section here on TBN.

/ building a loader for kubota L3000
Thanks for the quick replies! The tractor is a 3cyl about 25hp. I worked on fast acting hydraulic systems when I was in the Air Force 30 years ago but that was in the Phillipenes and I mostly just remember the girls! I saw a source on here for cheap hydraulic cylinders but now I can't find it again. Just off the top of my head I figure I need 4 double acting cyl maybe 2" for the arms and 1 1/2" for the bucket and a 4 valve body controller? Do I need to add hydraulic fluid capacity somehow?
Thanks for all the help!

/ building a loader for kubota L3000 #5  
Just off the top of my head I figure I need 4 double acting cyl maybe 2" for the arms and 1 1/2" for the bucket and a 4 valve body controller?

I do not think that you should go below 2" for the bucket curl either. If there is a complaint that I hear most frequently it is that the "curl" is not strong enough. That is because on most systems the curl function is the back side of the cylinder (the sid ewith the rod) and it does not have as much pull as the side without the rod has push. Therefore, unless you have some sort of linkage so that the cylinder is expanding during curl,and on a small loader there is not much space for it) I would recommend a larger cyl for the bucket.

Mike

/ building a loader for kubota L3000 #6  
With hydraulics everything is relative. The bigger cylinders you use, means thicker metal will be required, a larger subframe and bigger counterweights. Not to mention slower response times. 2 inch lift arm cylinders are quite large if you are making a 36" bucket. It will definately lift the rear of your tractor off the ground with breakout force but that size bucket means you will have no stability issues carrying a full bucket. One of the more important lessons I learned with first time loader operation is to travel with the load as low as you can. A bucket of dirt 4-5 feet off the ground throws the centre of gavity way off.

/ building a loader for kubota L3000 #7  
The kubota loader for that tractor had 1 3/4" cylinders with 1 1/8" rams (could be 1 1/4"). That was for 1000 pound lift. Stroke was 17 3/4" if memory serves...

jb