Waste oil heater for my garage.

/ Waste oil heater for my garage. #1  

dngspot

Bronze Member
I have seen LetsRoll thread and was impressed, yet it is a bit big for what I need. I am heating a 20X40 shop. The original Roger Sanders unit should be enough.

I gave the MEN information to a couple of guys at work. We have an endless supply of used oil so why not make it happen. One of the guys has finished his unit. He did a 5 hour test run with a chimney sticking out the side door of his garage. It was 20 deg out and about 75 deg in the garage. His unit did not use the conical burner; he used a stamped metal pan. He also used a 4 inch computer fan to blow in the air tube. Over the five hours it used 2 gallons of oil. His tank is located above his heater off to the side. It is also attached to the heater. It also uses a simple needle valve for oil control. During the visit he never adjusted the oil flow.

I have started mine. I will be using a conical burner. I have pressed it from 1/4 steel. If it does not heat up enough during start up then I will go through the hassle and make one from aluminum. Tonight I stripped the hot water heater and cut a door in it. Then I noticed that I only have a 3 inch draft tube. Since Roger Sanders reduces his to 2 inch to slow velocity I will leave it alone. I will test it this way and if needed will still reduce it or weld in a 4 inch tube. I will also mount my tank similar to the unit my buddy made. I am hopping to have it finished by next week.

I intend to show pics as I progress.

The burner.

Burner.jpg

The 40 gallon water heater tank with a door cut out.

Firstpic.jpg

/ Waste oil heater for my garage. #2  
If you want to reduce the flow up that draft tube what about leaving the baffle in it?

/ Waste oil heater for my garage.
The draft tube is no longer used for exhaust. Air will be drawn in and over the flame through this tube. I will cut it at the top of the door and about 8 inches below that cut. The conical burner will sit on the lower cut. An oil tube will come down that tube to drip oil onto the burner. I will cut a 6 inch hole next to the old draft tube and this will be the new exhaust.

I have not finished much; I picked up some hinge material (push tubes from a Cat 3406 engine). I am going to use a 30 lbs R134A tank for the tank that will be mounted above the heater. I have removed the handles and valve from the tank and silver soldered a 1/4 npt female fitting to the top of the tank. This will be the needle valve will mount. I also need to install the sight gauge and drill a 1 inch hole in the top for filling. Sorry I do not have any pics of this, the tank is at work and I am working at it on breaks.

I spent a little time on the heater. I cut the old draft line and mounted the burner. I also installed 1/4 inch npt plugs in five of the holes that were made by the hot water manufacture.

I am ready to start cutting and welding. The hole for the new 6 inch draft line still needs to be cut, the tank needs to be mounted and the door hinges need to be made and installed. I also need to install the frame on the inside of the heater door opening. I may weld this into place. Unfortunately I must do some garage cleaning to get to my mig and torches. I have been working on a few wood projects and need to move a bench and a few sheets of oak plywood. I will be working on this after work tomorrow.

Here are a couple of pics.

Bunerinstalled.jpg

Burnercloseup.jpg

/ Waste oil heater for my garage. #5  
It looks like a cool project! Wheres the best place to find a tank?
My shop is 17'x30' . Keep the pics coming.

Thanks!
Rick

I will keep them comming. Thanks for the complement. These things are supposed to keep a 30X40 shop warm.

/ Waste oil heater for my garage. #7  
Hi yes i am also watching this thread close:) i would love to find a cheap heat for my drafty wood barn (dirt floor). so yes please keep the pictures coming.

/ Waste oil heater for my garage. #8  
Can you use other oils as well for the furnace?

All mineral oils such as hydraulic, power train and engine oils. I have not burned gear oil, if you do it might stink, at least that is my un proven opinion. I believe you can burn cooking oils also. I will try this in a mix with the mineral oils.

rickster

I started asking several folks for hotwater heaters and the next thing I knew I was hauling away several of them. I gathered 4 of them and gave 3 of them to guys at work.

/ Waste oil heater for my garage. #10  
My buddy has a waste oil furnace, and the worst part for him is that his buddies give him all their drain oil....and their drain oil is full of water, antifreeze, dirt, grease, etc....and his furnace keeps going out because of the water mainly.