Lincoln Power Arc 5500 w/Robin engine

/ Lincoln Power Arc 5500 w/Robin engine #1  

Kernopelli

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Mini Ex, Deere Z930A ZTR
I'm almost ashamed to post yet another welder question ( seems like a lot of posts asking which welder to buy on here)...but.

A coworker was looking for a used generator and saw a "like new-never used" Lincoln Power Arc 5500 in the classifieds for $1250 OBO. He asked me about it, but specifically about the Robin/Subaru engine. I told him he could get a lot bigger generator for the money and he already has a Lincoln 225. I'd pass, especially at that price ( more like $1000 or less for a pre-owned.."new" or not) but he likes the idea of a multi purposed unit and is most concerned about the Robin engine. I remember some of the PT forum members having issues with Robins but told him I would see what the popular consensus was on the forum.

I think he is better served by spending his money on a bigger generator, especially since he already has the 225. He agreed he wouldn't offer more than $1K but does anyone think it is a deal breaker based solely on the Robin??

/ Lincoln Power Arc 5500 w/Robin engine #2  
I see no problems with the Robin.What I DO see is people failing to run fresh fuel or leaving the things sit for six months or a year before starting it.

/ Lincoln Power Arc 5500 w/Robin engine #3  
I wish I could say something about the Robin/Subaru but I can't. What I can say is that hope it's not a situation that I've got with a Miller 225G. I bought the unit for little of nothing and then found out the Onan engine situaton. I guess Onan was known to be a pretty good engine but now parts a limited and expensive due to Cat buying them out. Does Lincoln presently install these engines in their units?

/ Lincoln Power Arc 5500 w/Robin engine
I wish I could say something about the Robin/Subaru but I can't. What I can say is that hope it's not a situation that I've got with a Miller 225G. I bought the unit for little of nothing and then found out the Onan engine situaton. I guess Onan was known to be a pretty good engine but now parts a limited and expensive due to Cat buying them out. Does Lincoln presently install these engines in their units?

I don't think parts availability is a problem with the Robin/S, don't know about price though. I searched the net to get specs and prices on the Lincoln and it appears that Lincoln currently offers the unit with choice of Honda 9HP or Robin/Subaru 9HP engines. New price on the unit ranged from $1495 w/ free shipping to $1895 plus shipping so I sure don't think $1250 OBO is a steal for him and still don't feel even at $1000 he would be best served.

I do know what you are saying about Onan. My Step Father bought 2 Used Onans last winter and both needed some TLC. One was from a John Deere and the other was a generator engine and OEM parts were outrageous on both! I ended up finding the parts he needed on Ebay. Some were auctions and the others were found by contacting Ebay stores and asking the seller if he had the specific parts. With some patience, they were all bought at a fraction of OEM price.

/ Lincoln Power Arc 5500 w/Robin engine #5  
I have had a Powerarc with a Robin engine for 3 years now. As far as the Engine goes, it is the easiest starting engine I have ever owned. Put it on choke, pull it, it sputters, shut the choke off and its running. The only problem, and I wouldnt really call it a problem, is that it does burn some oil and has a low oil sensor. So if you dont fill the oil up every other day or run it on level ground, it will stall out on you. I ran mine for 5 days nonstop after hurricane Gustav and had no problems.
Now the welder part, it is not a big machine. Burns 6011 rod really well, but 1/8 rod is the biggest you can go. 7018ac 1/8 burns to slow for that machine.
I wouldnt pay more than 6 to 700 for a used one. I bought mine at home depot on clearance for $485 and have seen them new on Ebay for $900 or so.