Gluing Tractor Cab Glass

/ Gluing Tractor Cab Glass #1  

mcd176

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800HD / Kubota B2150
I have some questions/comments on using "Glue" for the generic term to bond glass to metal in home built tractor cabs, recently I have been following a thread by "Dirtnut" on his cab build.

I am currently still in the design stages of my cab build for my Kubota L4200, I too plan on using the urethane glass adhesive used on tractors/heavy equipment, I do not understand why most are against using this method, If your cab is built solid like a factory unit what is the reason for the concern? If the boys at the factories use it on compact tractors I think it would be fine, I have replaced glass in heavy equipment with it and it is VERY strong stuff, Again I see it on compact tractor cabs on todays models.

If I am full of it please somebody who knows about this subject help us all, there is alot of interest on this subject.

Just my .02 cents!:D

/ Gluing Tractor Cab Glass #2  
You be the guinea pig! Just go for it!:D It won't cost us anything.;)

Seriously, like you, I am not sure what the concern is. I think as long as you use the proper thickness of the "glue", it should be OK. That bead of urethane offers some flex between the steel and glass. Most seem to think the gasket would be better, but those gaskets are pretty stiff, and if everything fits tight enough not to leak (and it always requires some sealant not to leak) the glass could be put in more stress than if sitting on a flexible bed of urethane, IMHO.

Of course how stiff the cab structure is plays a major part in the equation. Also thickness of glass and tempered or laminated are more variables. My understanding is that car bodies are engineered for the glass to be a structural part of the framework. Take the average car, open all the doors, cut out the front and rear glass, and the "greenhouse" would be a lot weaker than when everything is in place.

Thanks for starting this thread, we should get lots of experts on this:eek:.
jp

/ Gluing Tractor Cab Glass #3  
I have some questions/comments on using "Glue" for the generic term to bond glass to metal in home built tractor cabs, recently I have been following a thread by "Dirtnut" on his cab build.

I am currently still in the design stages of my cab build for my Kubota L4200, I too plan on using the urethane glass adhesive used on tractors/heavy equipment, I do not understand why most are against using this method, If your cab is built solid like a factory unit what is the reason for the concern? If the boys at the factories use it on compact tractors I think it would be fine, I have replaced glass in heavy equipment with it and it is VERY strong stuff, Again I see it on compact tractor cabs on todays models.

If I am full of it please somebody who knows about this subject help us all, there is alot of interest on this subject.

welcome!

I am planning on building a cab too, would rather build than buy,
i have a backhoe attachment and was planning when i start my build
to do something custom with the back of the cab.

The windows was a problem for me too, trying to decide whether to
use gaskets or have them glued in, i have been following Dirtnut on
his build also.

There was a guy that built a cab a while back, he had his glass glued it, i don't know if he had any problems after is was done, but
looked good.
*Do a search on (cab in progress) It was by a guy (DDT).

/ Gluing Tractor Cab Glass #4  

For me, it would depend on exactly who is telling you not to use glue. And whether there is a gap between what they know, and what they think they know. We all know that proper type of glue works well. It's a matter of whether the rest of the components are designed and constructed properly.

/ Gluing Tractor Cab Glass #5  
You could build the cab out of 29 gague tube and use urthane to glue in lami and have plenty of strength.

/ Gluing Tractor Cab Glass #6  
I was involved with a group that built a solar powered car for a cross-country race and we used some automotive epoxies for attaching various pieces where we either had dissimilar metals that couldn't be welded or where we needed to bond composites to to the metal frame and the epoxies held up great. So frm that perspective I don't see why using glue to bond glass to metal would be a problem unless, like others have mentioned, the frame can flex more than the glass and put the glass in a bind. If your frame is rigid enough and you use laminated glass you should be fine with the glue.

/ Gluing Tractor Cab Glass #7  
New car glass is glued in. Its not particularly because it's fast and easy but adds to the structural strength of the cab area. Pull the front and rear glass our of a car and the body flexes and twists like a rubber band. Safety Glass is very strong and is part of the structural design when glued in.

/ Gluing Tractor Cab Glass #8  
CCWKen: +1 for that.

Even more, part of body panels are also glued and not welded anymore while not compromising strength, even improving reliability over time.

I would not worry glueing glass when using dedicated glue. These glues are designed to take the stresses involved.

Google a bit on car body flex and you will find surprising data. Almost seems cartoon like what a car does when driving it. (and no broken windows)

/ Gluing Tractor Cab Glass #9  
I would use nothing else but urethane adhesive. GM states that urethane is used because it IS the strenght of the cabin. Lockable rubber like Cat used to use works and makes it wasy to replace glass it's not strong. I remember being in a Catt 966C loader when a lump of snow came off the bucket, hit the front windshield and it all came in on me in the cab.

Go urethane. Eveyone else is these days.

/ Gluing Tractor Cab Glass #10  
Unless you could find some safety glass the right size I would hate to think of the cost of custom cut pieces with rounded edges. Urathane is the way to go if your doing it first class.