Engine Air Compressor?

/ Engine Air Compressor? #1  

BrentD

Silver Member
I saw a brief mention in another thread about using a 3-cylinder engine as an air compressor. My mind was already headed along that route when I came across the reference so I guess I'm not the first one to come up with the idea, but I think I'd like to run my version of the idea by you guys to see if my plan is sound.

My current plan is to find an engine from a Geo Metro. Those engines were either 1.0L 3-cylinder or 1.3L 4-Cylinder engines depending on the model (LS or LSI). I'd strip all the electronics and exhaust off the engine and seal up each exhaust port individually to isolate the cylinders from each other. I'd remove the spark plugs and thread pipe into the spark plug ports. The pipe from each plug port would thread into a Y of some sort that would have 2 check valves in opposition to each other. The check valve that would allow air to flow back into the cylinder would then be routed back to the intake and the other check valve would be routed to some sort of manifold that would gather the compressed air from all three cylinders and route it to the holding tank. That arrangement of check valves would convert the exhaust stroke into an additional compression stroke doubling the engines efficiency as a compressor.

The engine flywheel would be removed and replaced with a pulley to allow the engine to be driven from an electric motor.

The questions I have would be how large of an electric motor would be required? I've got a couple of motors laying around from swimming pool pumps that are rated 1HP @ either 1800 RPM or 3600 RPM. Can't remember which at the moment. I'm thinking of using at least a 2:1 reduction between the electric motor and the engine to raise the torque at the engine's crankshaft.

The next question would be how many cubic feet per minute could I expect from this arrangement assuming a 1.0L displacement running at 900 RPM? If I'm looking at the info on Wikipedia correctly then the displacement is based on the total air moved through an engine during one complete 4-stroke cycle which would comprise 2 complete rotations of the crankshaft (At least for a 4-cylinder engine). If that is correct then my check valve manifold would actually double the engine displacement making it 1L per rotation. 1L = .035cf so at 900 RPM I would be getting close to 30cfm. Does that sound right?

I've done a compression test on my Geo Tracker's engine and get between 150 and 170 psi on each cylinder. Would it be reasonable to expect a compressor like this to produce a working pressure in that same range?

Would that mean I'd end up with a compressor that could produce close to 30CFM at 150 PSI or would the compression ratio of the engine need to be taken into account in calculating the cfm?

/ Engine Air Compressor? #2  
Mobile tire service trucks used 4 cyl engines for compressors by using the two center
cyls for air and the other two for the motor to run on. This works very well. The exhaust valves on what would be 2 & 3 of a 4cyl are altered so the valve won't open but the push rod will hold the lifter in to maintain oil pressure. The spark plugs are removed and each plug hole has a one way valve in the pipe going to the tank. The spark wire are grounded. This makes the engine run rather smoothly.
I have seen 302 ford engines fixed using one side side to run on and one side for the compressor.

Mike Burts

/ Engine Air Compressor? #4  
Note when using a gas combustion engine as an air compressor that the compression ratio is quite different. A typical gas engine is about 9-10:1 while a compressor is essentially infinite:1. This means that you are probably limited to about 125psi. Good for nearly all applications of air tools, but if you are looking for 2-stage performance (175psi) its not there.

The Volks compressor thing looks pretty cool.

/ Engine Air Compressor? #5  
A one horsepower motor wouldn't begin to turn something like that......

/ Engine Air Compressor? #6  
It might just be cheaper/easier/more utilitarian and a whole lot simpler to just buy a compressor head that meets your specifications. :D

/ Engine Air Compressor? #7  
International/Farmall had a tire inflation kit where you removed a spark plug and hooked a hose in to the plug hole. The compression from the cylinder with the engine running would allow you to inflate tires on your tractor or any ting else. I knew an old grave digger that had a 4 cylinder Wisconsin engine where two of the cylinders were an air compressor that would run his jack hammer for frozen ground.

Your idea is proven you just need to get it done.

Dan

/ Engine Air Compressor? #8  
Gee Dan, That's exactly what we did back in the late 50's, when I was 10-12! I was so glad to be able to drive the farm tractor that the gasoline/air mixture in the tires was of little concern!

/ Engine Air Compressor?
Note when using a gas combustion engine as an air compressor that the compression ratio is quite different. A typical gas engine is about 9-10:1 while a compressor is essentially infinite:1. This means that you are probably limited to about 125psi. Good for nearly all applications of air tools, but if you are looking for 2-stage performance (175psi) its not there.

The Volks compressor thing looks pretty cool.

That first part about the infinite compression ratio doesn't seem quite right. Any given cylinder is going to have some sort of compression ratio that is calculated by comparing the volume of the cylinder with the piston completely retracted to the volume left at the top of the cylinder when the piston is at full stroke. An air compressor cylinder might have a better ratio than an engine if it has a flat head and recessed valves. The psi any given cylinder/piston mechanism can generate will be limited by compression ratio, quality of valve seals, piston ring seals, and the amount of stress individual components can handle. (In an application like I'm planning, the main limiters are going to be the electric motor and the various seals. If I wanted a higher compression ratio I could switch to a diesel engine for the compressor instead of the gas.

As far as the PSI goes, As long as I can approach 100PSI at enough cfm to drive a sandblaster I'll be satisfied. My sandblaster is about the biggest air hog I have at the moment, and can't really think of anything else I'd ever get that would need more.

The only stock air compressors I've been able to find that come close to the CFM rates of an engine are between $700 and $1000. I can pick up a used running 3-cylinder geo metro engine for around $100 (Heck, a friend of mine once bought an entire running geo metro in good running condition for $25). The biggest cost would be the electric motor if my 1hp pool pump motors won't drive it. Of course, I could always just pick up a second Geo engine and have one drive the other....

/ Engine Air Compressor? #10  
The original engine compression ratio matters not. It will all be based on the volume the piston displaces on each stroke.

How will you cool it?

Check out some package compressor units for volume and pressure vs electric motor size. That should give you a good idea on how much your one horsepower electric can attain.

Why the two check valves. With the exhaust valve locked closed just one check on the spark plug exhaust should do the job if you go that route.

Note: removing the intake valves and placing a check valve on each cylinder intake would probably work much better. That would get rid of the valve train.

You could also forget about the spark plug exhaust and use a check valve on each isolated exhaust valve port. Larger port size that way for better fluid flow.