Wiring for a Nippondenso Alternator?

/ Wiring for a Nippondenso Alternator? #1  

allenr

Gold Member
Tractor
Duetz DX3.70, Fendt 305LSA,260S & 205P,Kubota B6100E & 3 x B5100E & RTV900, Caterpillar 428C
Bought a S/H Alternator on Ebay for my second Kub 5100E.

MVC-854F.JPG

MVC-855F.JPG

Obviously the copper threaded stud is "charge out" to the battery.

But then there's three wires from the connector plug.
A red and white (top left of plug rear) and a black and white (top right) (both small) and a black (bottom) (bit thicker).

If I don't want a Alt warning light do I have to connect any of these?

Thanks in advance.

If I must have a warning light what do i need to connect?

Last edited:
   / Wiring for a Nippondenso Alternator? #2  
model number please !?!

soundguy

/ Wiring for a Nippondenso Alternator? #3  
With that many connectors coming from the alternator it is my guess (and it is just a guess) that this alternator needs an external regulator to work.
Doesn't the B5100 use a dynamo mounted behind the fan instead of an alternator?

/ Wiring for a Nippondenso Alternator? #4  
PULL OUT THE PLUG WITH THE CLIPPED OFF WIRES!!!

Big lug takes an 8 gauge wire go to the battery with a 55 amp amp breaker mounted as close to the battery as possible. 14 gauge wire comes from the powered side of the switch (power when switch is in "RUN") to the little spade marked with an "IG". If you need an idiot light,that goes to the spade marked "L"..the third spade is a dummy. Be aware that the thing won't start changing until it gets up to about 1100 rpms,so you might want to look at your drive pulley ratio.
I just put one on my GoldWing....Bob's got power now Boy!!!

alternatorschematic.jpg

11-Wiring.gif

/ Wiring for a Nippondenso Alternator?
model number please !?!

soundguy

MVC-867F.JPG

The number stamped into the plate on bottom right is 4E22.

I reckon Bobodu has answered my question in a later post, but thank you Soundguy for replying.

With that many connectors coming from the alternator it is my guess (and it is just a guess) that this alternator needs an external regulator to work.
Doesn't the B5100 use a dynamo mounted behind the fan instead of an alternator?

Phew, you had me concerned for a few minutes, but if you look at the pic in my reply to soundguy, the playe says it's internally regulated.

Yes it does have a dynamo but they don't have enough output to run a 12V sprayer pump or an electric clutch - particularly when idling along.

PULL OUT THE PLUG WITH THE CLIPPED OFF WIRES!!!

Big lug takes an 8 gauge wire go to the battery with a 55 amp amp breaker mounted as close to the battery as possible. 14 gauge wire comes from the powered side of the switch (power when switch is in "RUN") to the little spade marked with an "IG". If you need an idiot light,that goes to the spade marked "L"..the third spade is a dummy. Be aware that the thing won't start changing until it gets up to about 1100 rpms,so you might want to look at your drive pulley ratio.
I just put one on my GoldWing....Bob's got power now Boy!!!

alternatorschematic.jpg

11-Wiring.gif

Wow, you answered everything I wanted to know and thanks too for the attached images.
I had a reasonably good hunt around on the net (with no success) for the information you had at your fingertips.
I thought, from the bit I did discover, that one of the spades might be signal for a tachometer?

Did your Honda only have a dynamo or CDI type charger? What year is it?

Below are some pics of the nearly complete instalation.

MVC-859F.JPG

MVC-862F.JPG

MVC-869F.JPG

/ Wiring for a Nippondenso Alternator? #8  
Nice looking fabrication on the mount. Sorry for scaring you with my bad guess about the regulator.

/ Wiring for a Nippondenso Alternator? #9  
My GoldWing has an internal alternator (inside the engine case) and they only put out around 37 amps. Good enough for a stock bare bike but hardly enough for a 100 watt stereo,driving lights,air horns,tons of LEDS and trailer lights.Boys will be boys you know. The stock alternators are a common nuisance on the older Wings as they do go bad and fixing them requires pulling the engine. This is not mine but it pretty much shows what I have done to my bike. You have to cut out part of the timing belt cover,machine a pulley for the crank and make some brackets. There is a kit with the pulley and brackets,but it cost $190!!! I bought the pulleys,made an adapter on my lathe and made the brackets for $27...including the ebay alternator,breaker and belt....the whole deal cost me less than a hundred bucks.

altcon06.jpg

My bike is a 1985 1200 Interstate. You can't even tell I added the alternator unless you look closely into the fairing fins.

1200trailer-1.jpg

Nice looking fabrication on the mount. Sorry for scaring you with my bad guess about the regulator.

Thats okay, you did say it was just a guess.

And a diversity of opinion on issues helps one to broaden his mind!