Another Homemade Backhoe

/ Another Homemade Backhoe #1  

David Devuono

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B4200\MF 135\Kubota B3200
I have a couple hundred hours into my backhoe project so figured it was time to start a thread on it. I had originally started collecting cylinders to build a FEL for my Massey 135. Since I already had a FEL on my subcompact Kubota I got to thinking a backhoe might be more useful, especially with digging up the stumps that currently determine the path of my roadway. Here is a short video on the action of my bucket mechanism and some of the other pieces. Since I am building the unit around some FEL cylinders I have resorted to some unusual design enhancements. The plan is to bolt it to the rear end of the massey which is pretty heavy cast unit and the backhoe will likely be 4-500lbs.

YouTube - Homemade Backhoe Project

Attachments

• IMGP0043.jpg
    IMGP0043.jpg
    714.2 KB · Views: 2,849
  • IMGP0041.jpg
    IMGP0041.jpg
    885.8 KB · Views: 1,731
  • IMGP0045.jpg
    IMGP0045.jpg
    964.9 KB · Views: 1,725
  • IMGP0116.jpg
    IMGP0116.jpg
    697.7 KB · Views: 2,177
   / Another Homemade Backhoe #2  
Rock on UnimogDave. I like the compressed air trick; it's been a while since I've seen that.:D

/ Another Homemade Backhoe #3  
Lookin' good, Dave! The crowd arm cylinder and bucket cylinder don't touch? I bet it's close!

/ Another Homemade Backhoe #4  
Where on your tractor are you going to mount the compressor?;)

Boston rocks!

Nice work :)

/ Another Homemade Backhoe #5  
Ductape, you don't need a compressor, just a really long air hose!

/ Another Homemade Backhoe
Some of the clearances are close but I have tested the main boom to dipper arm cylinder clearance with a 90 degree hose and I have about 1/4 inch to spare which will give me a 7 foot digging depth. Hoping I don't have to move up to a 3" cylinder for the main boom from the 2.5 inch.

/ Another Homemade Backhoe #8  
I give you maximum points for being able to build it in such a confined space.

Cheers

Rohan

/ Another Homemade Backhoe #9  
Looks good!

I don't know much about backhoe design. But my first thought was how it appears a bit different from most BHs and recalled how even on factory one people sometimes bend that cylinder. The factory BH's tend to have some sort of moving bracket that I think tends to help keep the cylinder in line, I'm speculating that perhaps the purpose is to reduce potential bending stresses on the cylinder. It that something you had considered?

/ Another Homemade Backhoe
I have studied a lot of different backhoe designs and can't think of any moving bracket. The only real difference mine will have is that the dipper cylinder and bucket cylinders will only be using about 24" of their 36" stroke. Some day when I am in need of the long cylinders I will weld in brackets for some 24" stroke cylinders. For now the dipper cylinder will run underneath the main boom cylinder. The bucket cylinder to bucket brackets (will have to learn the proper names) will be H braced. The main boom is 1 1/4 pins, all other pins are 1" which is what the cylinder ends require. I surely don't have much room with just a 10x 20 garage that is full. I have a 10x10 heated shed that contains the lathe and band saw. So far I have not burned the house down, touch wood.