What to Buy? DRILL BITS Sharpner?

/ What to Buy? DRILL BITS Sharpner? #1  

jb889

I have never had decent drill bits and want to set myself up with a good set. There are so many different choices I don't know where to start. I would like to also know what you guys do to maintain the bits. Do bits with a coating lose the coating when sharpened? I have never sharpened bits either. All I seem to drill into is mild steel but I seem to go always dull bits after a half dozen or so uses. Thanks for any input!

/ What to Buy? DRILL BITS Sharpner? #2  
I have never had decent drill bits and want to set myself up with a good set. There are so many different choices I don't know where to start. I would like to also know what you guys do to maintain the bits. Do bits with a coating lose the coating when sharpened? I have never sharpened bits either. All I seem to drill into is mild steel but I seem to go always dull bits after a half dozen or so uses. Thanks for any input!

Good Evenin jb,
Get your self a good set like Cleveland or Enco. Coated bits are OK but the coating will wear off fairly quickly, I kind of prefer just buying a good set and sharpen by hand on the larger drills and you can get a sharpener for the smaller stuff.
Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies
Try this site ! You want to get some cutting oil for drilling steel, that will give you alot of tool longevity as opposed to not using anything !

You might consider one of the drill indexes that has number, fractional, and letter series all in one, that way you pretty much have it all with the exception of your larger drills over 1/2 ".

Hope this helps ! ;)

/ What to Buy? DRILL BITS Sharpner? #3  
One of the best tool purchases I ever made was to get a Drill Doctor. It allows me to have a fresh bit whenever I want, and makes the choice of drill material less important. It's invaluable late on Sunday night when your last bit just doesn't want to cut anymore.

/ What to Buy? DRILL BITS Sharpner? #4  
For the small bits,I buy the "grab bag " at Harbor Freight. They are industrial re-sharps. I bought a HF set of Silver and Deming large bits and they have been very good. Keep the speed down,oil often and use plenty of pressure. I have never been impressed with bit sharpeners of any brand. With a little knowledge of how a bit should look and work,I can do a much better and faster job with a wheel and a cup of water.

/ What to Buy? DRILL BITS Sharpner? #5  
I agree with yankeerider. The Drill Doctor was a worth while purchase for me too. It does a really good job sharpening your drill bits.

/ What to Buy? DRILL BITS Sharpner? #6  
I bought the Titanium drill bit set and the Drill-Doctor from northern tool.

I also use cutting oil for drill bits.

/ What to Buy? DRILL BITS Sharpner? #7  
One thing I have learned over the years with drill bits is YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! If their cheap their cheap for a reason. If you want a set of drill bits that will last for a decade or more get a good set of cobalt bits. I usually opt for the split point type, they drill easier when not drilling a piolet hole first. There are numerous makers of high quality bits out there. Their not hard to identify, their expensive. Check with your local Fastenal store Home | Fastenal. They will be able to hook you up with some really good bits.

As for drill bit sharpeners, Drill Doctor is a good one. I got one of their homeowner types and it worked rather well. I eventually upgraded to their industrial type (very expensive) but in my case it was worth the extra money.

/ What to Buy? DRILL BITS Sharpner? #8  
I have a drill doctor too, well worth the money. Sharpens all the way up to 3/4" bits. The bits looks like brand new ones when your done, far better than I can do by hand and easier.

/ What to Buy? DRILL BITS Sharpner? #9  
Drill Dr for sharpening smaller bits, Grinder for larger ones. Cleveland,Clarkson-Osborn, Dormer or Triumph for bits. My absolute favorite bit are Guhring, but they are mostly metric, very costly (other than Ebay) and pretty much imposable to find in stores . Ive drilled hardened bolts with Guhring bits that the others wouldnt make a dent in, they're that good.

Last edited:
   / What to Buy? DRILL BITS Sharpner?
For the small bits,I buy the "grab bag " at Harbor Freight. They are industrial re-sharps. I bought a HF set of Silver and Deming large bits and they have been very good. Keep the speed down,oil often and use plenty of pressure. I have never been impressed with bit sharpeners of any brand. With a little knowledge of how a bit should look and work,I can do a much better and faster job with a wheel and a cup of water.

Okay,
Not that I will try, (maybe I will) but describe what you do with the wheel and a cup of water. I have a table top grinder, or am I way off? Just curious as I would have tried what I think you are saying in a pinch. Can you do it freehand with the bit in visegrips?

And, to all the others who have replied - THANKS, I will check out the Drill Dr. and the Fastenal near me. I also don't trust the you get what you pay for necessarily. I have seen it disproved on both ends with various things. I trust your guys opinions more than an advertisement. Thanks for the other leads too.