Reese hitch receiver tubing undersize

/ Reese hitch receiver tubing undersize #1  

Skyco

Elite Member
Here is a caveat for everyone- last week I bought a 12" receiver tube made by Reese from Tractor Supply. Got it all fabbed up into a hitch for my fathers motorhome. THEN I discovered the tube is made incorrectly and is a hair too small to accept many 2" drawbars. The 5/8 hole for the pin is also too tight, I'm betting they've gone Chinese on sourcing these now.... An email to their customer service (HAH) has gone unanswered for a week now...

Moral of the story, check inside a receiver tube before welding it up in a project...the red faced ":mad:" doesn't begin to address my anger at Reese.

/ Reese hitch receiver tubing undersize #2  
That's pretty annoying. I would never have thought to check if my hitches fit.

/ Reese hitch receiver tubing undersize #3  
Had that happen once spent some time with my grinding wheel.Framer

/ Reese hitch receiver tubing undersize #4  
Ouch! All that meticulous work to make it all fit together, then find out the pieces you DIDN'T make don't fit together. Hope you get it all straightened out so it fits.

/ Reese hitch receiver tubing undersize #5  
Since you already fabbed it up I doubt they will take it back.
Is it possible the inside of the receiver was painted and the paint is too thick not letting the hitch slide in. If not you'll have to do like framer said and grind a little off the 4 sides of the hitches you want to put into that hitch receiver. Same for the 5/8 hole, have to ream it a little to make the pin fit better.

/ Reese hitch receiver tubing undersize #6  
Here is a caveat for everyone- last week I bought a 12" receiver tube made by Reese from Tractor Supply. Got it all fabbed up into a hitch for my fathers motorhome. THEN I discovered the tube is made incorrectly and is a hair too small to accept many 2" drawbars. The 5/8 hole for the pin is also too tight, I'm betting they've gone Chinese on sourcing these now.... An email to their customer service (HAH) has gone unanswered for a week now...

Moral of the story, check inside a receiver tube before welding it up in a project...the red faced ":mad:" doesn't begin to address my anger at Reese.

I buy a lot of Reese products, but i will start checking them from now on.

/ Reese hitch receiver tubing undersize
No paint or flash inside the new receiver, just too dang small.
Fortunately the only thing my dad will use this receiver for is the towbar for the tow'd behind the motorhome. The existing receiver was too high for the specs of the towbar height for his new tow'd, a small lightweight Honda Fit.

The existing receiver had a nice 1/4" plate under it so I welded some 1/4" 2x2 angle along the side of the new receiver and drilled and bolted it to the underside of the existing plate with 4ea 1/2" grade 8 bolts. The receiver will support essentially no tongue weight, only pulling forces from the tow'd.

Being quite stunned when we went to plug the drawbar for the tow'd in and it wouldn't go we took the angle grinder to it, shaving off maybe a thousandth or two. We greased it and the inside of the receiver good, since there is now no paint on it. The drawbar is solid so no compromise in strength.
The hole for the 5/8" pin appears to be exactly 5/8", add paint and the pin is a no go, had to clean the paint off, typically the hole is a little over 5/8" to allow for tolerance between the hole in the receiver and the hole in the drawbar. I know when I've drilled them I usually go with a 21/32 drill bit.

One plus- he used to complain about the slop in the existing receiver letting the tow bar rattle, this one does not rattle, that's for sure:eek:

/ Reese hitch receiver tubing undersize #8  
I was thinking that since you did some welding on the receiver, that the metal expanded a little. Did you perhaps try a fit before welding?

/ Reese hitch receiver tubing undersize #9  

I bought The same tube at TS about a year ago mine fit OK.

/ Reese hitch receiver tubing undersize #10  
check and make sure its not just the radius in the corners of the receiver

when i made my receiver i just used structural steel tubbing, worked fine