My 3 point trailer hitch project

/ My 3 point trailer hitch project #1  

yeagisyeag

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100HST, International IH454, John Deere F910
Hi,
Just another 3 point trailer hitch project! Finished it up today since it was warm out, works really good, and is much easier than getting my Jeep hitched up to move the trailer around!

I got the harbor freight 2" bolt on receiver. I swore off buying anything from China, but I needed to use up the rest of a gift card so this is the last time! The rest of the parts are just scrap lying around at work. 2" square tubing and a few plates.

I already had flux core wire in my welder, so the welds aren't quite as pretty as they could be. A few cuts and hole saw holes later I was done!

Putting it on the tractor, I found out the top link was bent, so I had to take it in and straighten it on the press at work. Also got the lowering speed adjusted so I don't need to stand on it anymore.

I'm pretty happy with the outcome, makes me want to get started on some other implements. I think I'm gonna try to make a scoop next, or maybe a front bumper/pusher to bolt on.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_4065.JPG
    IMG_4065.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 1,227
  • IMG_4086.JPG
    IMG_4086.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 1,255
  • IMG_4087.JPG
    IMG_4087.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 1,315
Last edited:
   / My 3 point trailer hitch project #2  
Try reposting your pics. There aren't any there....

/ My 3 point trailer hitch project
   / My 3 point trailer hitch project #4  
Good looking hitch you built. Never thought of boltong one to the drawbar but I see it works easily and will do the job.

/ My 3 point trailer hitch project #5  
Great stuff. Your design has helped me with a problem as regards a log skidding rig I made. Thanks bunch!

/ My 3 point trailer hitch project #6  
very nice! It's funny on how our timing is for making the hitch. I just completed mine yesterday. I made mine out of scrap I beam. I didn't want to use a receiver tube, I needed something to leave the balls on permanently. Hope you dont mind with me posting my pics.

Attachments

• 3pt hitch beam.jpg
    3pt hitch beam.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 1,354
   / My 3 point trailer hitch project
Radioman,
Funny you should mention the permanent ball...
Don't know if it's the el cheapo HF receiver or what but I can't seem to get the pin pulled out to remove the tongue anymore! As soon as the groove on the pin goes in past the receiver edge, it binds up and catches inside somewhere. It also may have warped from the welding I guess. Suppose I made mine unintentionally permanent, since my patience wore thin trying to remove it.

very nice! It's funny on how our timing is for making the hitch. I just completed mine yesterday. I made mine out of scrap I beam. I didn't want to use a receiver tube, I needed something to leave the balls on permanently. Hope you dont mind with me posting my pics.

6011artist: I was surprised that the bolt holes lined right up w/the drawbar. Afterwards, I'm thinking I should have bolted the receiver to the underside of the drawbar, and welded the upright tube to another plate to bolt to the top. The ball is a little higher than I thought it would be when the lift is all the way down.

Hindsight is 20/20, no?

Jim

/ My 3 point trailer hitch project #8  
I got the same idea, I already bolted the receiver to the drawbar now just have to weld up the up bar but I've been hesitating now cause I might use that receiver and bolt it up to the bucket (FEL) instead!!!:confused:

/ My 3 point trailer hitch project #10  
raidoman, that is a nice job with the drawbar.

Thanks for sharing your pics.
Radioman,
Funny you should mention the permanent ball...
Don't know if it's the el cheapo HF receiver or what but I can't seem to get the pin pulled out to remove the tongue anymore! As soon as the groove on the pin goes in past the receiver edge, it binds up and catches inside somewhere. It also may have warped from the welding I guess. Suppose I made mine unintentionally permanent, since my patience wore thin trying to remove it.

Jim

Jim,

That is a nice job you did also and we like pics. here on TBN.

You said it was stuck in your hitch.

Can you take a piece of 2x4 and lay it against the ball and hit the 2x4
with a small sledge and get it out.

Thanks for the pics.