Any Homemade Mini Dozers?

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #23  
I made chain tracks for this project. As it was made for the snow, steering was not an issue. On dirt its hard to steer with a load of wood. I made the front axle adjustible in order to tension the track. I would in future allow the track to wrap a little more around the tires as it will throw a track from time to time.
YouTube - Powered Wheelbarrow

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #24  
This is one of my favorites. It seems to be powerful and fast. Several U-tube videos

YouTube - Aurausta tela-ajoneuvolla 2

Love the sound of that turbo diesel!:)
Looked like a lot of fun sliding around in the snow, corse if he had taken the side off that red car it wouldent have been so cool!:D
Did you notice it had a steering wheel? Wonder how that is set up?

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #25  
the steering wheel probly just controls the valves that stop/start/reveirse the drive motor

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #26  
I have been slowly collecting parts to build a mini dozer for myself. More of a rider mower scale so not a large as the one you are describing. Tracks length on the ground will be around 4.5 ft. I had a question for J J on that at Zturn pump/control (Kanaski DUP7a) from surplus center. Do those calculations account for the double pump? The flow is 6 gpm @1450 psi for each pump.

Just trying to figure it out which way I will go. I have one of those pumps sitting on my bench right now and I may us it for the dozer project or something else.

I am having a little trouble finding a pulley to fit the tapered metric shaft of the pump so any ideas would be great. Right now my only option is a new pulley off a john deere zturn which uses a Kanaski DUP10 pump. Looks like the shaft is the same size.

Thanks

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #27  
Remember when they changed the co host on Junkyard wars from That rogers lady, She went to a similar show called Full Metal Challenge. Teams brought in alot of homebuiult machinery to race each other in events. Remeber the team that got all the way to the finals to have a transmission problem It was a couple canadian kids that worked in a machine shop. They had i think a 500 CI Caddy motor. the sproket was flame cut and the tracks were thick conveyor belts split and they had 2 inch channel bolted to the them with carriage bolts. I cant think of the guids o nthe inside of the track other than the offset i nthe meta from the channels. It used a 3/4 or 1 ton floating rear end to make it steer. I wished I could have remebered the name of it. It had a cseveral axles on the bottom for bogeys. The tracks looked alot like the ones used on snow tractor conversions.

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #28  
the steering wheel probly just controls the valves that stop/start/reveirse the drive motor

I've dabbled with the idea of a yoke or a stearing wheel...trying to make it easier for the kids to operate. It would be set up something like a joystick that controls both valves. The best I've come up with so far is something like the setup in a swather. You have a wheel that also pushes forward and back. With the wheel in a neutral position you could turn it one way or the other without pushing forward or back and you'd go into a zero radius turn.

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #29  
Qorkinprogress,

All I saw was total cu in, and GPM. It could be like you said. I would call Burden and ask their hydraulic guy.

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #30  
The first Struck Magnatracks used belts for fwd and rev , and used brakes to steer. The next generation, used a 4 speed peerless transmission and chains to drive, and brakes to steer. The latest generation of the Magnatracks uses hydraulics to drive and steer. In building something similar to the Magnatracks, you have to consider the HP of the motor, and how much pump can the motor run. Then you have to match up hydraulic wheel motors if you go that route. In considering the motors, you have to know how much weight the motor will have to push to drive, and if you push dirt with it, you will need a larger hydraulic motor. If using the Peerless 4 spd transmission, with sprockets where the wheels would normally bolt on, you then drive the tracks with heavy duty chain, going from say a sprocket of ten teeth to a sprocket of fifty teeth, which will turn the tracks. You can get tracks from many different manufactures, or make your own. As I said before, if I put my Magnatracks in low gear, it just slowly crawls along. I also have a dozer blade and a bucket for mine, and uses electric motors to raise and lower the bucket. My Magnatrack also has a 16 HP Wisconsin engine, with electric start.