Any Homemade Mini Dozers?

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #1  

db6261

I would like to build a homemade mini dozer, crawler, oneday and would like to see if anyone else has pics of their projects they want to share.

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #2  
I too want to build a tracked vehicle bigger then the wheel barrow sized unit I made. The easiest build would be with hydralic motors but thats also the most expensive. I saw a neat video of a Mini Sherman tank build with a super simple steering mechanism but not sure if it could hold up for other then parade duty. I need a bush machine. Some use open diff axles with left and right brakes, but that doubles the speed of the unbraked track which makes it a bit touchy in anything but a real low gear.

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #3  

Attachments

• a3101.jpg
    a3101.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 8,233
  • 4800a.gif
    4800a.gif
    16 KB · Views: 4,256
   / Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #4  
ive got the plans for just about all struck mini dozers. just need to find a counter rotateing pulley so i can start

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #5  
I would like to build a homemade mini dozer, crawler, oneday and would like to see if anyone else has pics of their projects they want to share.

I too am planning a tracked vehicle sometime in the distant future. There are a bunch of ways to accomplish the mechanism of steering. I already have the golf course fairway mower as a donor for the hydraulic pump and wheel motors. You might also consider a zero turn radius mower as a donor for some of the drive train. It will all depend on how tough you want the machine to be. The ZTR trannys are not as suitable for heavy work, but the control you'd have a lot of control over each individual track. I also noticed the other day that Surplus Center has this... ZTR LEFT/RIGHT TRANSAXLE ASSEMBLY

My challenge has been finding an economical option for tracks. Of course my project may require longer tracks than what you're looking at (I'm planning 8' of track to the ground). I think the most economical option is to find a set of used R4 tires in the size you'd need and cut most of the sidewall out, then run them around some pneumatic tires. You wouldn't have a good positive engagement drive on them, but you'd still get a lot of torque to the ground. You'd see the biggest disadvantage to this mechanism in muddy or wet conditions.

There's also this guy... YouTube - John Deere Custom Built Track Vehicle I'd love to have a step by step account of how he built his machine.

Keep us updated on what you figure out. I'm sure there are a lot of us that would benefit from following your thought process.

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #6  
Not long ago there was one on Ebay based on an older John Deere garden tractor. It used modern snowmobile tracksand drive sprockets. I assume it had an open diff with individual brakes to steer. It looked really nicely done. Unfortunately I didn't save a picture of it.

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #7  
These are not home made, but started off as a kit from Struck corp.

I have a model in between these two. M1800 They are geared so low, that in low gear, you can get off ,eat lunch and and come back and they only went about 20 yards.

Mine is gas and transmission, the newer ones are hydraulic, and they cost as much as some tractors.

I want to sell mine.

Magnatrac Tractor and Dozer Line-Up for 2008

StruckCorp

having priced the new struck crawlers, would be curious to know what you would want out of yours - and what features/options yours has.

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #8  
Iplay
Take a look at
http://www.joesgarage.us/Muskeg_j5-3.jpg
Simple tech. I love it
Regards Whitworthsocket

My challenge has been finding an economical option for tracks. Of course my project may require longer tracks than what you're looking at (I'm planning 8' of track to the ground). I think the most economical option is to find a set of used R4 tires in the size you'd need and cut most of the sidewall out, then run them around some pneumatic tires. You wouldn't have a good positive engagement drive on them, but you'd still get a lot of torque to the ground. You'd see the biggest disadvantage to this mechanism in muddy or wet conditions.

/ Any Homemade Mini Dozers? #10  
Iplayfarmer,

Why not make your own tracks. Looks pretty straight forward. Build them using dimension of half air in tires. When built, slide them on and inflate tires to tighten up tracks. You would have to lock your steering if putting on a garden tractor. I have a set for my skidsteer, but have not put them on yet. You can order a complete rubber or steel set of tracks for different skidsteers.

Attachments

• 2e0d_3.jpg
    2e0d_3.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 10,680
  • c5_1.jpg
    c5_1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 9,125