Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    05 JD 3320 300cx

Default I hit my flagpole with my front-end loader

At the end of last year I was mowing my lawn and was too lazy to take off the front-end loader. I hit the 3" aluminum flag pole my wife had just gotten me for Christmas! Yesterday I pulled it out of the ground to see how badly it was bent. With it lying flat on the concrete, there is about a 2" bend approximately 2' up from the bottom. I thought about cutting it off as it wouldn't affect the overall height too much. I would have to drill and retap the bolt holes for the cleat. What I was hoping is that someone might be able to suggest a way to straighten it.

Any suggestions are welcomed!
    Thanks,
    Eddy

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

Default Re: I hit my flagpole with my front-end loader

Could you mow your lawn in the opposite direction?

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tractor
    05 JD 3320 300cx

Robert, That was the first thing I thought of too.

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

I am thinking the damage is done. I doubt if you can get that wrinkle out. You might try a dent puller that the auto body shops use. You drill a few holes and this thing threads into the hole. Then it has a weight on the shaft that you bang outwards away from the dent. A good body shop guy knows where on the dent to pull on the dent to get it to "oil can" back into shape. Too many holes and you would weaken the pole. In some cases a threaded stainless steel pipe clamp cinched down on the corners of the wrinkle might pop it out.
    How thick is the aluminum?
    1st Peter 1:6-9

Tractor
    05 JD 3320 300cx

Treemonkey, There is more of a bend than a dent. I just want it to stand plumb when I put it back in the ground. Thanks, eddy622611

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

In that case take and on the opposite side of the bend put a bottle jack against a block of wood to protect the poles finish. Then take a cable or strong rope. Hook one end over the end of the pole. Then go up and over the piston of the bottle jack and up a few feet past the bottle jack. Anchor that cable with pipe clamps or something. Tension your cable so it is taught. Jack up the bottle jack to push the bend out. Sort of like rigging tensioners on a sailboat if you get my drift. Just be careful so the bottle jack doesn't pop off an smack you.
    1st Peter 1:6-9

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Do you know of electrain w/pipe bend?
    Maybe fasten one end than heat the bent area and slowly push/pull until straighten.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Aluminum can be heated and straightened easily but there is a fine line between when it's hot enough to bend and melting. When the aluminum starts to melt it doesn't do it in slow motion. It's kind of like "poof" and it's gone.

Tractor
    Bobcat S185 skid steer - Ferris IS500Z - JD GT235

I've done the same maneuver a couple of times. Luckily, my flagpole is old 2 inch painted steel with a coupling at the center.
    I just put the bucket up against it and pushed it back up straight. (Of course I wouldn't put a level on it to check for plumb! )
    Todd

Also - E Terra E 60 SSQA backhoe • Erskine 73" blower •TSC QA boom pole • Bradco 48" forks • JLG T350 Boom Lift • 1997 Ford F Super Duty 7.3 Powerstroke w/ Altec AT 200A bucket • CAM Superline 6x12 dump • (2) Kristi 7x18 enclosed • 2014 Ford F250 Super Cab gasser • 2007 Mustang GT • 2007 Crown Vic P71 Police Interceptor

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4110HST

You have a hydraulic bender on your tractor. Block up the mast, secure it so it wont spin and center your FEL over the high point. Gently down pressure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast