Dual action grapple

/ Dual action grapple #1  

hr3

Veteran Member
Tractor
7610 hst
I searched and couldn't find anyone that has built one but here goes I'll try to discribe what I would like to build??? I would like a grapple that will reach out and then pull in brush or small logs to my fel.. 2 pistons working in tandom.. Has anyone seen this done or have any idea what type of problems I might have???

/ Dual action grapple #2  
Do you suggest sorta like an extenda hoe?

I suspect such an item would be rather cumbersome as it would probably require an overhead sissor arrangement which would suggest 2 axis and then double cylinder(s) circuits.
Weight alone would very much limit capacity, especially out that far fwd.

Even bucket clamps limit capacity on CUTs.

/ Dual action grapple #3  
You might not need "dual action" to do what I'm guessing you want.
It might take more than one hinge point, some sort of scissors/tongs arrangement ?
Something that follows a 2 (or more) stage path of down and then in, instead of the usual single stage arc.

I think the first thing to flush out of your mind is the usual layout of pivot points and cylinder mounts - start fresh.
...Hmmm ?!?!?
I think I would look at car/truck hood, trunk and door hinges for ideas.
I seem to remember some that swing and then move "flat", there might be cabinet hinges that do the same sort of thing.
The more I think about it the more I want to tear old tape decks apart, VCRs too.

/ Dual action grapple #4  
I guess you have your reasons... but it sounds like a complicated arrangement to pick up small logs. If you 'dump' the bucket and open the grapple you'll get a pretty good reach anyway. And you can pick up a pretty huge pile of brush if you lower the open grapple onto the pile.

And there are buckets especially designed for driving into piles of stuff like firewood.

/ Dual action grapple
Reg,, Good idea.. dual hinge points...I will think on that one..I'm thinking on the lines of what "dfkurg" is doing with his back how thumb to control it.. I already have the 3rd. function up there for my plow.. I'm thinking like when you see a rock you want that is right next to a tree.. Pull the bucket up close send out the grapple to pull it back into the bucket...

/ Dual action grapple #6  
I'm thinking like when you see a rock you want that is right next to a tree.. Pull the bucket up close send out the grapple to pull it back into the bucket...

That really wouldnt be much of a problem for an ordinary grapple attachment on a bucket.

/ Dual action grapple #7  
I searched and couldn't find anyone that has built one but here goes I'll try to discribe what I would like to build??? I would like a grapple that will reach out and then pull in brush or small logs to my fel.. 2 pistons working in tandom.. Has anyone seen this done or have any idea what type of problems I might have???

A backhoe with a thumb would do what you are asking. Any attempt to build a grapple with those characteristics would IMO result in a very delicate easily damaged mechanism that would severely limit the utility of the grapple for other purposes. To get a rock that is next to a tree just use a grapple to approach the rock side of the tree and grab it.

Attachments

• IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 704
   / Dual action grapple #8  
Do you suggest sorta like an extenda hoe?

I have heard someone mention an "extenda hoe" before...but have never seen one.

Do you have any info. on that??