Log Arch - Homemade

/ Log Arch - Homemade #1  

savageayape

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD3520
Well, I needed a way to get the logs out of my woods without damaging the property from dragging them. Of course I looked over this forum and considered purchasing a log arch from a manufacturer. I told a friend of mine about the log arch and after describing it to him, he told me he will be happy to build one for me. I gave him some measurements and info with regard to what I wanted to be able to do with it. He told me he would probably start work on it in the spring, but a few weeks later he called and said it was ready. He even sprayed it with primer for me. Now I just have to paint it. Even though I didn't build it, I thought I'd share some photographs of it with you guys. I'll add more photographs after I paint it.

Attachments

• Log Arch 1 03-15-09 resized.JPG
    Log Arch 1 03-15-09 resized.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 1,850
  • Log Arch 2 03-15-09 resized.JPG
    Log Arch 2 03-15-09 resized.JPG
    172.9 KB · Views: 7,741
  • Log Arch 3 03-15-09 resized.JPG
    Log Arch 3 03-15-09 resized.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 5,782
  • Log Arch 7 03-15-09 resized.JPG
    Log Arch 7 03-15-09 resized.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 2,309
   / Log Arch - Homemade #2  
Nice piece of work. I think you are going to wish it was a bit taller though. Nice it has a long tongue, will make it easier to back up.

/ Log Arch - Homemade #3  
Very nice!

But I think you will need a chain on your hitch adapter to the drawbar to keep the 3PH from raising when a log is attached-remember that the 3PH naturally floats and will raise if negative pressure is applied like a long log hanging on the rear.

/ Log Arch - Homemade
Nice piece of work. I think you are going to wish it was a bit taller though. Nice it has a long tongue, will make it easier to back up.

I've already had that concern as well, but I haven't tried using it yet. I talked to my buddy about cutting it and adding some more steel to increase the height. He said that would be no problem. I'll wait until I test it out first before doing that though.

/ Log Arch - Homemade
Very nice!

But I think you will need a chain on your hitch adapter to the drawbar to keep the 3PH from raising when a log is attached-remember that the 3PH naturally floats and will raise if negative pressure is applied like a long log hanging on the rear.

This shouldn't be a problem with the way I intend to use it. The log won't be balanced at the rear of the arch. I will use the winch cable at the rear to raise the log beyond it's center point. That way the log will be raised at the rear and still touching the ground under the arch toward the tractor. I will then lower the 3 pt hitch and attach a chain from one of the hooks welded to the arch, slide the chain under the log and attach it on the hook on the other side of the arch. I will then raise the three point hitch which will in turn raise the log off the ground completely. The only concern I can think of right now is that it appears it may be too close to the ground, but I have to test it out to determine if it needs to be taller.

I really appreciate your thoughts and any other ideas or suggestions will be appreciated as well.

Now that I think about it a little more, I may need to fish the chain under the front of the log (part under arch and closer to the tractor before raising the rear of the log with the winch for the very reason you mentioned in your post.

Last edited:
   / Log Arch - Homemade #6  
How long are the log you intend to carry?

It may be more "user friendly" to operate if there was a upside-down V welded where the chain hooks are...to serve as a saddle. Then winch the tree off-center so the butt comes into the saddle first-then lifts the trunk holding the tree firmly.

And I still think for safety's sake you need to limit upward travel of the 3PH, especially if you ever plan to move regular trailers around.

/ Log Arch - Homemade #7  
Seems to me that raising the back of the log and then lowering the 3pt and then chaining the front of the log before raising the 3pt to clear the ground is a lot of back and forth.
Why not put another winch to lift the front. That way you pull over the log, lift both ends and put on the safety chains and go. Only out of the seat once and no raising and lowering of the 3pt

/ Log Arch - Homemade #8  
I think it looks great and have been thinking of building one myself. You;ll find out right away if its not tall enough, but I would think no problem for your average 20" log. Do you have any idea what the weight capacity is? The steel looks heavy enough, and I like the tires. Any idea where you got these from and the diameter of the axels. Also curious what it ended up costing you for materials. Best of luck with it, I imagine you will be painting it JD green.:)

/ Log Arch - Homemade #9  
Nice work!

Post some pictures when you get to try it out..........Hurry:D

/ Log Arch - Homemade
How long are the log you intend to carry?

It may be more "user friendly" to operate if there was a upside-down V welded where the chain hooks are...to serve as a saddle. Then winch the tree off-center so the butt comes into the saddle first-then lifts the trunk holding the tree firmly.

And I still think for safety's sake you need to limit upward travel of the 3PH, especially if you ever plan to move regular trailers around.

I imagine most logs will be between 10' and 16'. I really like your idea of the upside-down "V" That would help keep the log from swaying back and forth as I haul it away as well as with the suggestion of how to lift the log. I'll have to play with various techniques until I find one that works well.

I hate to sound stupid, but I'm not sure what you mean by limiting the upward travel of the 3 pt. Are you referring to pulling from too high above the axles and thus causing the tractor to pull a wheelie? I don't plan to pull regular trailers with it, but if I do, I'll be sure to keep the 3 pt low (at axle height).