Tractor
    John Deer compact FELand 54 Massey Ferg FEL

Default gravel road maintainer

A buddy and me are trying to build a copy of the Grademaster or Duragrader. Has anyone tried these ? They seem real simple but cost 1000$ or more. I have a 1/4 mile gravel drive that drives me nuts keeping the washboards out! So far a pallet with blocks drug slowly works best. Thanks.

Elite Member

Default Re: gravel road maintainer

Welcome. There have been so many "graders" posted in this forum that it is difficult to pick and choose among them. But here is one of them: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...ns-grader.html

Just try the search feature, and you'll be amazed.

Tractor
    1996 - 1715 New Holland FWD 27 HP

This is one I built to use on my drive way. Is built from Guard rail post and RailRoad Spikes. Total cost about $25 and 6 hours labor. It works for me as my budget is limited for such things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0077-jpg   -img_0078-jpg   -img_0079-jpg   -img_0106-jpg   -img_0107-jpg  

-img_0108-jpg   -img_0109-jpg  
    Don't do today what you can put off untill another day.
    Or
    "WHAT PART OF RETIRED DON"T YOU UNDERSTAND."

Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers

OldMax,
    Nice job of using what is available!
    David from jax

Roundbale,
    Building a Duragrader or road maintainer is an interesting project that will require pictures to be posted at each step of the way.
    Some people like them, some think a box blade with training wheels will do the same or better job, but if you build one and take the time to get all of the angles right, you won't be disappointed with the results. Grader blades and the steel can be purchased from several sources, but what size and how heavy of steel to use depends on your tractor.
    I don't really have a use for one, but decided to build one to maintain my sister in laws road. Since the other people on the road gave me a hard time about "how" I was maintaining their road, I decided not to build it for now, and quit working on their end of the road. I have the grader blades and steel, just waiting for me whenever I actually get a need for one.
    David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

Tractor
    John Deer compact FELand 54 Massey Ferg FEL

Thanks guys! I like this site , and learn something every time I get on. I hope I can contribute to help some one in the future.

Tractor
    2005 TB135 Excavator with Thumb, Quick Attach System, Ripper tooth, 3' Hydrauic Tilt Clean-up Bucket, Skeleton Bucket, 1986 Kubota 4150 with Loader and Quick Attach with Woods Forks, JD B, 1963 IH 504

Make sure whatever you build will allow you to create a crown. The down side of any drag typre set-up is that it grades flat and pushes material to the side, hollowing out the road and allowing water to pool.

Ideally you need to be able to pull material from the ditches to the center of the road. Water can then run un-obstructed from the road to the lowest portion of the ditch. If water sits on the road surface you will always have washboard and potholes.

Good luck.
    2009 Kubota M7040, cab
    2005 Takeuchi 135 excavator
    1963 Oshkosh 4819
    2013 GMC 3500 6.0 w 9-2 Boss V Fisher poly Sander.
    IH 504, JD B, Ford 2n, Farmall cub, Gehl 1475 Round Baler, JD 640 rake, Vermeer 2500 Bale Wrapper, Zetor 185 Drum Mower, New Idea 217 manure Spreader, Kuhn 4 star tedder, Farmi 501 winch.
    Local 740 Portland ME
    20 Scottish Highland Beef Cattle, 3 Herefords, 3 Goats, 2 Alpacas, 2 Llama, 140+- layers, and lots of maple trees.
    Facebook: Phillip View Farm