gravel road maintainer

/ gravel road maintainer #1  

Roundbale

Tractor
John Deer compact FELand 54 Massey Ferg FEL
A buddy and me are trying to build a copy of the Grademaster or Duragrader. Has anyone tried these ? They seem real simple but cost 1000$ or more. I have a 1/4 mile gravel drive that drives me nuts keeping the washboards out! So far a pallet with blocks drug slowly works best. Thanks.

/ gravel road maintainer #3  
This is one I built to use on my drive way. Is built from Guard rail post and RailRoad Spikes. Total cost about $25 and 6 hours labor. It works for me as my budget is limited for such things.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    903.2 KB · Views: 1,907
  • IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    838.2 KB · Views: 1,528
  • IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 2,120
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    662 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    697.4 KB · Views: 529
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    568.1 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    722.3 KB · Views: 526
   / gravel road maintainer #4  
OldMax,
Nice job of using what is available!
David from jax

Roundbale,
Building a Duragrader or road maintainer is an interesting project that will require pictures to be posted at each step of the way.
Some people like them, some think a box blade with training wheels will do the same or better job, but if you build one and take the time to get all of the angles right, you won't be disappointed with the results. Grader blades and the steel can be purchased from several sources, but what size and how heavy of steel to use depends on your tractor.
I don't really have a use for one, but decided to build one to maintain my sister in laws road. Since the other people on the road gave me a hard time about "how" I was maintaining their road, I decided not to build it for now, and quit working on their end of the road. I have the grader blades and steel, just waiting for me whenever I actually get a need for one.
David from jax

/ gravel road maintainer
Thanks guys! I like this site , and learn something every time I get on. I hope I can contribute to help some one in the future.;)

/ gravel road maintainer #6  
Make sure whatever you build will allow you to create a crown. The down side of any drag typre set-up is that it grades flat and pushes material to the side, hollowing out the road and allowing water to pool.

Ideally you need to be able to pull material from the ditches to the center of the road. Water can then run un-obstructed from the road to the lowest portion of the ditch. If water sits on the road surface you will always have washboard and potholes.

Good luck.