3 point water line trench digger

/ 3 point water line trench digger #1  

randy1687

Any ideas on what could be made or used to dig a 6-12 inch deep to burry water lines?. I thought about using my middlebuster but the width of the trench is really bigger that I need. Could I use one of those smaller blades like I have seen at TSC?. I want to use my 3 point and not the bucket. Any ideas?. And thanks for a great information source!.

/ 3 point water line trench digger #3  
Just buy a 'bull tongue' or chisel point if you can find one that fits (sometimes the angle is different and the bolt holes don't line up). I've put a longer bolt in that hold the tip one and put a short piece of chain on with one line over the bolt/under the nut. Then fasten the other end of the chain to the pipe and pull away. You won't get much depth, 12 inches is probably max. You might want to 'pre-trench' before attaching the line to help get the depth you want.

/ 3 point water line trench digger #4  
I used a subsoiler to bury a 1" gasline about a foot deep, Randy. I made a doohicky, which was probably overkill, and attached the gas line behind it on the lower crossbrace. Here's some pics of it and one where I was making a trial run, since I was going to be going across my driveway and wanted to see how it worked. All you need to do is drive over your trench to pack it back down then.
Those same brackets held a piece of conduit that was bent on a ninety when I ran some underground electric to my shed.
Just wondering, can you take the blades off of your middlebuster? Maybe you could get that to work somehow.

Attachments

• DSC00049.JPG
    DSC00049.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 3,597
  • DSC00050.JPG
    DSC00050.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 3,623
  • DSC00051.JPG
    DSC00051.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 7,087
   / 3 point water line trench digger #5  
Flexible lines and wires are done very well with a subsoiler as stated. Rigid schedule 40 PVC does not do well when using this type of setup, from my experience. I just did over a thousand feet of rigid pipe and would up doing it with a middle buster with a small blade. Made a heck of a mess in wet spots and wished I had rented a trencher. Got lucky and found a almost new Ground Hog T4 with an 18" digging bar on it for $700 locally and will use that to finish another 500' of pipe this summer. Then sell the Ground Hog for more than I paid for it.

/ 3 point water line trench digger #6  
I use a subsoiler. Run it empty to clear all roots and stuff. Then glue all your pvc together secure to subsoiler and pull away. works good here in Fl.

/ 3 point water line trench digger #7  
I modified my subsoiler to add this wedge which works really well making trench lines for French Drains, and this summer I will try it out on our tree farm for planting seedlings.....

plantingwedge2.jpg

plantingwedge3.jpg

plantingwedge.jpg

/ 3 point water line trench digger #8  
I made a doohicky, which was probably overkill, and attached the gas line behind it on the lower crossbrace. Here's some pics of it and one where I was making a trial run, since I was going to be going across my driveway and wanted to see how it worked.

Thank you for the photos. I'm going to build something very close to that in the morning.