Swival head for a clam, pulp loader

/ Swival head for a clam, pulp loader #1  

joes_427_vette

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH Cub Lo Boy, 955 John Deere , TC 55 DA New Holland, Bolens HT 20 and 1456
Thinking about constructing a pulp trailer with a loading boom. Anyone know where a hydraulic swival could be purchased to operate a clam ? I have seen a unit made in Canada that is pretty compact. A new one may be quite costly depending on size and capacity.

/ Swival head for a clam, pulp loader #2  
I have a friend that built a whole grapple for his homebuilt knuckle boom he put on his work barge. He made the swivel out of a set of tapered roller bearings off 2 truck hubs and mounted a hydraulic motor to the die with a sprocket on the clamp frame. he then cut the center out of a sprock and mouned it the the eye that the shaft wit hthe bearings mounted on the boom. I have a pic on my old computer Ill see if my wife can retriece it on a memory card.
He made the grapple with one cylinder that opened and closed the jaws without a linkage or a flow divider. he used a set of stops. His head wasnt a 360 continuos rotation. He added a couple feet of hoses for both functions in a plastic coil that held them out of the way and let it go 360 each way. They tore out old docks and used it to handle Schedule 40 and 80 6 and 8 inch pipes 25 feet long.

/ Swival head for a clam, pulp loader #3  
I built a loader for my splitter using a steering cylinder and # 40 chain for the head swivel, mount the cylinder horizontal wrap chain around bushing and hook to ends of the ram twists 180+ degrees allowing you to grab wood at any orientation I could take pic if you want

/ Swival head for a clam, pulp loader #4  
I built a loader for my splitter using a steering cylinder and # 40 chain for the head swivel, mount the cylinder horizontal wrap chain around bushing and hook to ends of the ram twists 180+ degrees allowing you to grab wood at any orientation I could take pic if you want

Please do ! It may give me some ideas as well.:)

/ Swival head for a clam, pulp loader #5  
Thinking about constructing a pulp trailer with a loading boom. Anyone know where a hydraulic swival could be purchased to operate a clam ? I have seen a unit made in Canada that is pretty compact. A new one may be quite costly depending on size and capacity.

Scroll down.

Skid Steer Grapples

/ Swival head for a clam, pulp loader
Thanks for the info. The Hawk series looks great but weighs almost 1100 #. A few more responses on the home built models will probably be the winner.

/ Swival head for a clam, pulp loader #7  
heres my loader

Attachments

• Wood Splitter 003.jpg
    Wood Splitter 003.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 514
  • Wood Splitter 001.jpg
    Wood Splitter 001.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 615
   / Swival head for a clam, pulp loader
That looks simple yet effective. Sizzami; did you build this?

/ Swival head for a clam, pulp loader #10