Steel Strength Charts??

/ Steel Strength Charts?? #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
Does anyone have any good references for finding steel strength figures for design calculations?

My immediate need is to build a set of loading ramps for a trailer, but I'd like to have a reference for the various stuff I plan.

/ Steel Strength Charts?? #2  
A good one that i have found is BeamBoy. If you google it you'll find it.

You can choose from many standard sizes of channel iron, angle iron, and i-beams. You input a load and a span length and it'll tell you the deflection, bending stress, moment of inertia.

If they dont list the steel you plan on using, you can enter your own values for the modulus of elasticity and strength of the steel, if you can find that elsewhere, and this program will figure everything else out.

I used it to size the supports and i-beams for the loft in my garage.

/ Steel Strength Charts??
A good one that i have found is BeamBoy. If you google it you'll find it.

You can choose from many standard sizes of channel iron, angle iron, and i-beams. You input a load and a span length and it'll tell you the deflection, bending stress, moment of inertia.

If they dont list the steel you plan on using, you can enter your own values for the modulus of elasticity and strength of the steel, if you can find that elsewhere, and this program will figure everything else out.

I used it to size the supports and i-beams for the loft in my garage.

So, I finally got around to downloading Beamboy. It looks like a right handy and valuable application if I could figure out what all of the signs and symbols mean. I think this is one of those situations where the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. The beam I have to work with right now is a 1" X 2" X 1/4" C-channel. I don't see that listed in his pick list, and I'm still trying to figure out how to custom enter it.

/ Steel Strength Charts?? #5  
my 5' ramps are 2x2 x 1/4 and they bent under my tractor so I had to flatten them back out and weld more angle on the backside to make them 2x2 boxes.
how much weight, how long, etc... are you planning on using them for?

/ Steel Strength Charts?? #6  
So, I finally got around to downloading Beamboy. It looks like a right handy and valuable application if I could figure out what all of the signs and symbols mean. I think this is one of those situations where the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. The beam I have to work with right now is a 1" X 2" X 1/4" C-channel. I don't see that listed in his pick list, and I'm still trying to figure out how to custom enter it.

According to my Ryerson and R & S Steel catalogs, they don't list a 1/4" thick channel in that size; but a 2" x 1" is considered a bar channel and is meant for light duty usage compared to structural channels. How long are the channels you plan to use?

/ Steel Strength Charts??
According to my Ryerson and R & S Steel catalogs, they don't list a 1/4" thick channel in that size; but a 2" x 1" is considered a bar channel and is meant for light duty usage compared to structural channels. How long are the channels you plan to use?

I was guessing at the thickness of the steel since I was as work. I'm at work again, so I'm still guessing. I did measure the 1" X 2" dimensions a few days ago, though. I have a 20' stick of the C-channel and another 20' stick of 2" X 2" angle. I was going to see if I can cut the C-channel into 5 foot lengths for the sides of the ramp, and then cut the angle into lengths to be the "rungs" on the ramps.

My tractor is a Massey 1215 with a loader. This tractor full of fuel and dripping wet may weigh 2500 pounds. I'd like to spec some ramps a little stronger, though, in case I want to haul something a little heavier in the future.

/ Steel Strength Charts?? #8  
I was guessing at the thickness of the steel since I was as work. I'm at work again, so I'm still guessing. I did measure the 1" X 2" dimensions a few days ago, though. I have a 20' stick of the C-channel and another 20' stick of 2" X 2" angle. I was going to see if I can cut the C-channel into 5 foot lengths for the sides of the ramp, and then cut the angle into lengths to be the "rungs" on the ramps.

My tractor is a Massey 1215 with a loader. This tractor full of fuel and dripping wet may weigh 2500 pounds. I'd like to spec some ramps a little stronger, though, in case I want to haul something a little heavier in the future.

I'm no structural engineer; but the material you have seems light to me. How thick is the 2" x 2" angle?