Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1215, Toro 266-H, Pennsylvania Panzer, Case 444, Craftsman 14/6

Default Steel Strength Charts??

Does anyone have any good references for finding steel strength figures for design calculations?

My immediate need is to build a set of loading ramps for a trailer, but I'd like to have a reference for the various stuff I plan.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Default Re: Steel Strength Charts??

A good one that i have found is BeamBoy. If you google it you'll find it.

You can choose from many standard sizes of channel iron, angle iron, and i-beams. You input a load and a span length and it'll tell you the deflection, bending stress, moment of inertia.

If they dont list the steel you plan on using, you can enter your own values for the modulus of elasticity and strength of the steel, if you can find that elsewhere, and this program will figure everything else out.

I used it to size the supports and i-beams for the loft in my garage.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    BX24
    ...might even be a little older tomorrow

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    A good one that i have found is BeamBoy. If you google it you'll find it.

You can choose from many standard sizes of channel iron, angle iron, and i-beams. You input a load and a span length and it'll tell you the deflection, bending stress, moment of inertia.

If they dont list the steel you plan on using, you can enter your own values for the modulus of elasticity and strength of the steel, if you can find that elsewhere, and this program will figure everything else out.

I used it to size the supports and i-beams for the loft in my garage.
    So, I finally got around to downloading Beamboy. It looks like a right handy and valuable application if I could figure out what all of the signs and symbols mean. I think this is one of those situations where the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. The beam I have to work with right now is a 1" X 2" X 1/4" C-channel. I don't see that listed in his pick list, and I'm still trying to figure out how to custom enter it.
    From now on I will only buy cars that are a silver/grey color. Then I can make all body repairs with Duct Tape.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    century 2535

my 5' ramps are 2x2 x 1/4 and they bent under my tractor so I had to flatten them back out and weld more angle on the backside to make them 2x2 boxes.
    how much weight, how long, etc... are you planning on using them for?
    Erik
    Mahindra 3510, box blade, pallet forks, 6' KK mower...

Tractor
    A couple

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayfarmer View Post
    So, I finally got around to downloading Beamboy. It looks like a right handy and valuable application if I could figure out what all of the signs and symbols mean. I think this is one of those situations where the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. The beam I have to work with right now is a 1" X 2" X 1/4" C-channel. I don't see that listed in his pick list, and I'm still trying to figure out how to custom enter it.
    According to my Ryerson and R & S Steel catalogs, they don't list a 1/4" thick channel in that size; but a 2" x 1" is considered a bar channel and is meant for light duty usage compared to structural channels. How long are the channels you plan to use?
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    According to my Ryerson and R & S Steel catalogs, they don't list a 1/4" thick channel in that size; but a 2" x 1" is considered a bar channel and is meant for light duty usage compared to structural channels. How long are the channels you plan to use?
    I was guessing at the thickness of the steel since I was as work. I'm at work again, so I'm still guessing. I did measure the 1" X 2" dimensions a few days ago, though. I have a 20' stick of the C-channel and another 20' stick of 2" X 2" angle. I was going to see if I can cut the C-channel into 5 foot lengths for the sides of the ramp, and then cut the angle into lengths to be the "rungs" on the ramps.

My tractor is a Massey 1215 with a loader. This tractor full of fuel and dripping wet may weigh 2500 pounds. I'd like to spec some ramps a little stronger, though, in case I want to haul something a little heavier in the future.

Tractor
    A couple

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayfarmer View Post
    I was guessing at the thickness of the steel since I was as work. I'm at work again, so I'm still guessing. I did measure the 1" X 2" dimensions a few days ago, though. I have a 20' stick of the C-channel and another 20' stick of 2" X 2" angle. I was going to see if I can cut the C-channel into 5 foot lengths for the sides of the ramp, and then cut the angle into lengths to be the "rungs" on the ramps.

My tractor is a Massey 1215 with a loader. This tractor full of fuel and dripping wet may weigh 2500 pounds. I'd like to spec some ramps a little stronger, though, in case I want to haul something a little heavier in the future.
    I'm no structural engineer; but the material you have seems light to me. How thick is the 2" x 2" angle?
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.