Homemade post hole digger

/ Homemade post hole digger #11  
Nice work. Be careful around the unguarded shafts.

I have 9 & 12" Lienbach augers and agree the points and cutting edges are cheesy. They do seem to dig well in my soil though.

/ Homemade post hole digger #12  
Looks Great, built one in the early nineties, used a Ford Mainline diff and a
Sunshine No6 header PTO, purchased the auger.
Fitting good cutting tips is the main thing.

/ Homemade post hole digger #13  
Redneck, nice job on the digger. I'll keep this in mind and might get one of those gear boxes. When I saw the mention on 2 7/8" uptbg I knew you had to be from my neck of the woods!

Hey, one of you guys that made one from a Ford rearend, post a few pics of it I'd like to see it.

Thanks.

/ Homemade post hole digger #14  
You know I never did check the ratio. The gearbox is factory made for PHD's.
The seller said he made a special purchase of a lot of these that had a seal problem, he will warranty it for a year as long as you keep oil in it and address the seal problem. The problem with seal was the OD bore was slightly large I removed the seal and put it back with 3m weatherstrip adhesive. Filled it up with oil over a month ago and not even a drip yet.

To check the ratio, do this.

Place a mark on the auger, and a mark on the drive shaft. Turn the drive shaft by hand or pipe wrench and note the number of drive shaft rotation it takes for the auger to turn once.

Augers are usually in the 3.0/1 to 4.0/1 ration range 135 to 180 rpm . Of course engine speed will change that.

Last edited:
   / Homemade post hole digger #15  
A beautiful PHD fer sure....As a side note, where I try to dig post holes the rocks are a major problem... last weekend I was at a rental place in in talking to them, they showed me what they called "pockets"... They weld these pockets onto their auger and insert hardened points, which they say will last forever... For those of you with lots of rocks, it may pay to check into this... as soon as I find that roundtoit, thats my plan.. will report abck when that happens...

/ Homemade post hole digger #16  
Excellent job. But really needs a freewheeling guard on the PTO shaft and a guard around the universal joint on the gearbox. Thanks for the pictures.

/ Homemade post hole digger #17  
like a rubber bootty to keep the dirt out of the joint?possibly and old CV joint booty would do it.

/ Homemade post hole digger #18  
1st off you sure done a good job. I wasn't going to bring it up, but looking at you pictures real close, it looks like the u jount bore is bigger then the gear box shaft. You sure wouldn't want that shaft to come off there. Just bringing it, so maybe no one well get hit with the shaft. A young man just got killed a few weeks ago around here from a post hole digger.

/ Homemade post hole digger #19  
Wanted to bring this one back for more discussion.

I've been considering lately building one for my skid steer. However, I was thinking of using a hydraulic motor.

Anyone ever build one with a hydraulic motor vs shaft driven?

-- Joe

/ Homemade post hole digger #20  
Nice job on the digger build.

The draw backs of a 3 point hitch PTO digger are IMO are, one can't reverse rotation and can't put down pressure on the bit with the 3 point.

Only some belarus tractors seem to have that abillity in the latter.