Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    2002 NH TC40DA 1974 IH 474

Default Homemade post hole digger

Heres a post hole auger I built, The tube is 2 7/8 pipe. I bought the gear box on e bay for 100 with shipping and also the auger for about a 100 with shipping. I had the driveline already I got about another 50 in odds and ends as well as gas and rods. 250 total. It works pretty good, although the tip on the auger is kinda cheap, I've alreay bought a heavier tip from TSC. The auger is a leinbach. If you count my labor I probably have way more in it but it was fun to build. I measured a buddy's speeco and made this pretty close demension wise. I had a heavy top link with a damaged end I added to the top for adjustment. Probably won't need to adjust it but the broke top link found a home anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -phd-jpg   -phd2-jpg   -phd3-jpg  

Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

Default Re: Homemade post hole digger

Nice work ! As long as I've been hanging out here on TBN...... this is the first home built PHD I can recall anyone making.

Tractor
    kubota B26 TLB,former B7610 owner

Redneck,nice job........can i ask what ratio your gearbox is?Just in case i ever decide to build one.
    Digger2
    Kubota B26 TLB
    Ex Wives.....Ahhhh,the memories

Tractor

You know I never did check the ratio. The gearbox is factory made for PHD's.
    The seller said he made a special purchase of a lot of these that had a seal problem, he will warranty it for a year as long as you keep oil in it and address the seal problem. The problem with seal was the OD bore was slightly large I removed the seal and put it back with 3m weatherstrip adhesive. Filled it up with oil over a month ago and not even a drip yet.

Tractor

In fact I just checked e bay, the seller still has them for sale. 65 plus shipping. It shows he has only sold one. I guess I was the only one willing to take a chance. Everything on it seems good and heavy just the bottom seal was a little loose. I know I'm not supposed to put e bay links here but you can find by searching "post gear box"

Silver Member
    Tractor
    1964 Ford 2000D and 1959 Ford 801

Nice job. I might start a war here, but i really like the color.

Tractor

Its behind a TC40 NH , so I thought Ford blue was fitting. But I'm definatley on the Blue side anyway. From Trucks to tractors. Attatched you will see my craftsman that got a Blue makeover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -ford1-jpg   -ford-jpg  

nice phd

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Nice build. I have a home made one that was built using a 9" Ford rear end. Its got a 3.73 gear ratio. Just took out one of the axles and welded a plate over it for the top end of the gear box. Used the other axle on a shortened tube to attach the auger.

Chris

Tractor
    Kubota L3400 HST

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    Nice build. I have a home made one that was built using a 9" Ford rear end. Its got a 3.73 gear ratio. Just took out one of the axles and welded a plate over it for the top end of the gear box. Used the other axle on a shortened tube to attach the auger.

Chris
    Same here. Mine works great. Got it with a 9" auger for $100.00.

Terry
    2006 Kubota L3400 HST, R4's, LA 463 loader.
    Landpride FDR1672 mower, Hawkline 5' rotary cutter, 5' United boxblade, 6' scrape blade, Woods 5000 chipper/shredder

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast