Homemade post hole digger

/ Homemade post hole digger #1  

redneckexplorer

Tractor
2002 NH TC40DA 1974 IH 474
Heres a post hole auger I built, The tube is 2 7/8 pipe. I bought the gear box on e bay for 100 with shipping and also the auger for about a 100 with shipping. I had the driveline already I got about another 50 in odds and ends as well as gas and rods. 250 total. It works pretty good, although the tip on the auger is kinda cheap, I've alreay bought a heavier tip from TSC. The auger is a leinbach. If you count my labor I probably have way more in it but it was fun to build. I measured a buddy's speeco and made this pretty close demension wise. I had a heavy top link with a damaged end I added to the top for adjustment. Probably won't need to adjust it but the broke top link found a home anyway.

Attachments

• phd.jpg
    phd.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 5,849
  • phd2.jpg
    phd2.jpg
    884.8 KB · Views: 3,846
  • phd3.jpg
    phd3.jpg
    861.6 KB · Views: 1,918
   / Homemade post hole digger #2  
Nice work ! As long as I've been hanging out here on TBN...... this is the first home built PHD I can recall anyone making. :)

/ Homemade post hole digger #3  
Redneck,nice job........can i ask what ratio your gearbox is?Just in case i ever decide to build one:D.
Digger2

/ Homemade post hole digger
You know I never did check the ratio. The gearbox is factory made for PHD's.
The seller said he made a special purchase of a lot of these that had a seal problem, he will warranty it for a year as long as you keep oil in it and address the seal problem. The problem with seal was the OD bore was slightly large I removed the seal and put it back with 3m weatherstrip adhesive. Filled it up with oil over a month ago and not even a drip yet.

In fact I just checked e bay, the seller still has them for sale. 65 plus shipping. It shows he has only sold one. I guess I was the only one willing to take a chance. Everything on it seems good and heavy just the bottom seal was a little loose. I know I'm not supposed to put e bay links here but you can find by searching "post gear box"

/ Homemade post hole digger #6  
Nice job. I might start a war here, but i really like the color. :D

Its behind a TC40 NH , so I thought Ford blue was fitting. But I'm definatley on the Blue side anyway. From Trucks to tractors. Attatched you will see my craftsman that got a Blue makeover.

Attachments

• ford1.jpg
    ford1.jpg
    870.7 KB · Views: 1,142
  • ford.jpg
    ford.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 1,496
   / Homemade post hole digger #9  
Nice build. I have a home made one that was built using a 9" Ford rear end. Its got a 3.73 gear ratio. Just took out one of the axles and welded a plate over it for the top end of the gear box. Used the other axle on a shortened tube to attach the auger.

Chris

/ Homemade post hole digger #10  
Nice build. I have a home made one that was built using a 9" Ford rear end. Its got a 3.73 gear ratio. Just took out one of the axles and welded a plate over it for the top end of the gear box. Used the other axle on a shortened tube to attach the auger.

Chris

Same here. Mine works great. Got it with a 9" auger for $100.00.

Terry