Tyre Mats

/ Tyre Mats
Hi Guys,

I was sitting eating my lunch thinking about this and trying to apply the KISS principle. The barb end bolts are difficult to source so I had a bit of a rethinkThe main criteria are that:

1. its cheap

2. the parts are readily available anywhere

3. the amount of handling is minimised. even slipping a pointed guide over a bolt will become tiresome after 1000 joints

4. Ideally it would be nice to be able to do it all from the seat of the skidsteer

5. The mats are moved twice a year, once to place on pit and once to remove.

One simple idea I came up with was to use galvanised steel nails. We all know that these will go through a tyre. If I could get one with a wider than average head so that it will act like a washer. On the other side of the implement there would be a steel block that would act like the plate on the bottom of a stapler. It would cause the nail to bend 90 degrees + thus preventing it from pulling back out?

Do you think this would work? Here are some simple sketches, 1000 words and all that. Id appreciate your thoughts....

Ron

Attachments

• tyre_mat1.jpg
    tyre_mat1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 220
  • tyre_mat2.jpg
    tyre_mat2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 183
   / Tyre Mats #12  
Hi Guys,

I was sitting eating my lunch thinking about this and trying to apply the KISS principle. The barb end bolts are difficult to source so I had a bit of a rethinkThe main criteria are that:

1. its cheap

2. the parts are readily available anywhere

3. the amount of handling is minimised. even slipping a pointed guide over a bolt will become tiresome after 1000 joints

4. Ideally it would be nice to be able to do it all from the seat of the skidsteer

5. The mats are moved twice a year, once to place on pit and once to remove.

One simple idea I came up with was to use galvanised steel nails. We all know that these will go through a tyre. If I could get one with a wider than average head so that it will act like a washer. On the other side of the implement there would be a steel block that would act like the plate on the bottom of a stapler. It would cause the nail to bend 90 degrees + thus preventing it from pulling back out?

Do you think this would work? Here are some simple sketches, 1000 words and all that. Id appreciate your thoughts....

Ron

IMHO - The size of nail you'd need to not rip through the tire will make it impractical to do the "bent nail" method. Keep in mind the the reason staples bend is because there are two sides that are being equally forced. A single nail will likely move before it bends. The solution to that problem will get very complicated very fast. You could try to rig something with fencing staples.

I really think you're going to come back to pre-punched holes and bolts tightened down with some kind of powered wrench.

/ Tyre Mats #13  
Hi Guys,

One simple idea I came up with was to use galvanised steel nails. We all know that these will go through a tyre. If I could get one with a wider than average head so that it will act like a washer.

Ron

For more surface area, why not use smaller galvanized washers? (one on the head side, and then one on the side that will get folded)

Yeah, it will add some cost and complicate the process, but it will reduce the probability of tearout.

Also, if you didn't have the hydraulic press, this would be fun and fast way to git'er'dun: :cool:

Powder-actuated tool - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though, I'm not sure how available or legal they are in your locale.

/ Tyre Mats #14  
For more surface area, why not use smaller galvanized washers? (one on the head side, and then one on the side that will get folded)

Yeah, it will add some cost and complicate the process, but it will reduce the probability of tearout.

Also, if you didn't have the hydraulic press, this would be fun and fast way to git'er'dun: :cool:

Powder-actuated tool - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though, I'm not sure how available or legal they are in your locale.

We're almost there, folks. A few more posts and we'll have invented the rivet.

/ Tyre Mats #15  
We're almost there, folks. A few more posts and we'll have invented the rivet.

:)

Which is a pretty close to why they were first invented. (Temporary repairs of ship hulls during WWII)

The more I think on it, a powder nailer may be overkill (no pun intended). It may be possible with a regular pneumatic framing nailer and a clip of galv. nails. Certainly cheaper.

/ Tyre Mats #16  
:)

Which is a pretty close to why they were first invented. (Temporary repairs of ship hulls during WWII)

The more I think on it, a powder nailer may be overkill (no pun intended). It may be possible with a regular pneumatic framing nailer and a clip of galv. nails. Certainly cheaper.

I'm thinking a good hydraulic riveter.

/ Tyre Mats #17  
I'm with MikeD on the tire splitting idea! You'd have half the weight, twice the coverage, and if placed 'cup-side-down', no water retention. Plus you'd only have the width of the tread to deal with, for the (yet to be developed) fastener placement. Thinking something like an old tire machine that would rotate the tire, while a hydro-knife (sharpened old lawn-edger blade?) would cut the tread. Yeah, I know there not on rims!! So another fabrication would be needed, such as a split-roller that would hold the tire against the knife for cutting! Hey, Just 'brain-storming' here! How 'bout a .22 caliber nail-setter for concrete anchors to poke the holes? Just don't have your hand...'down-range'.....:D

/ Tyre Mats
Hello guys,

Thanks so much for your input so far. Just to clarify a few things:

Scotty: splitting the tyres is not an option. The more weight on the plastic the better as it prevents air getting in and spoiling the feed. Water filling up in the tyres is a good thing as it increases weight but can be messy when removing. Also cutting 1000 of these tyres will not be good for man or machine. The toxic dust/fumes even when drilling would poison you very quickly.

Iplayfarmer:I think if it comes to pre-punching tyres and bolting them together it might not be worth doing. I would not particularly enjoy doing this and I think it would be very time consuming. For the price farmers here will pay for something like this it would not be a viable option (if you value your time). However to follow up another point from your post I'd like to explore the possibility of using U-nails. I agree that the nail may be unstable and not bend uniformly every time. 3 inch pointed u-nails with barbs may be the answer. I know for sure 2" ones are readily available as I spent many a day putting chainlink on ranch fencing.

Please have a look at the sketches and see what you think. The mechanism would work in two stages. First stage would be clamping the two sides together. Then the u-nail would be pushed through the tyres and hit a forming plate on the other side. The diagram explains it a lot better so please take a look.

Again I thank you all for taking the time to read this and give back your 2 cents. I know it is not a major interest to most but it is nice to get replies be it good or bad.

Regards,
Ron

Attachments

• galvanized_sharp_u_nail_1.jpg
    galvanized_sharp_u_nail_1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 260
  • tyre_mat3.jpg
    tyre_mat3.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 138
  • tyre_mat4.jpg
    tyre_mat4.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 136
  • tyre_mat5.jpg
    tyre_mat5.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 130
   / Tyre Mats #19  
Have you thought of a way to auto feed the U-nails/staples?

/ Tyre Mats #20  
Hi Ron, I can see where you're going with this and it makes sense to me.

Basically a large stapler, similar in concept to this:

http://www.kammarton.com/files/products/product_167_3.pdf

A few thoughts.

1. Bigger isn't necessarily better. If you get the process going quick and cheap, it may be better to drive two or more staples at the point the tires touch.

2. Rather than using a hydraulic ram, a long lever would make the process go faster.

3. You should be able to drive and fold the staple in one action, just like a desktop paper stapler.