Default roller pump

I inherited a spray rig and I'm trying to refurbish. It has an old pto roller type pump and I was wondering if it need a pop off or recirculating valve, when I'm not spraying. Also will I need a pressure regulator? Does any one have a piping diagram? Any sites to buy parts I might need (strainer, valves, regulator etc.)

Default Re: roller pump

Yes, mine had an adjustable pressure regulator with what I called a bypass (maybe the same thing you're calling a recirculating valve? since I'm not sure what the correct terminology is) but it allowed the excess pressure to return to the tank, which also served the purpose of keeping the material in the tank stirred..
    Bird

"Ranchin'" on a 1/4 of a 1/4 in Seminole County, Oklahoma!
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota M4800 SU

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...er-thanks.html

Above is a link to a thread that is one of the best homebuilt sprayers I've seen. This guy did a top notch job. It should have most of the information you're asking about.

Good luck.
    Jay

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 NKJV

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

Make sure you can get it to roll before you spend money on it. I have seen roller pumps stuck so bad that the housing would break before you could get them broke loose.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    Make sure you can get it to roll before you spend money on it. I have seen roller pumps stuck so bad that the housing would break before you could get them broke loose.
    Yep, when I first got my spray rig, it had been sitting, unused for quite some time and the pump was seized, so I bought a new pump. I later learned that I should not have bought a new pump; I should have just disassembled the old one and cleaned the corrosion thoroughly in the glass bead blaster cabinet, which I had to do later to the second pump. Then I solved the problem (believe I learned here on TBN) by keeping it full of Prestone antifreeze when not in use.
    Bird

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I used to have a spray rig with a roller pump (Hypro 7 roller I think?) they work well and can develop about 300 psi pressure. Be sure that you get an adjustable regulator with a wide range of pressure if you are setting up small mister nozzles as these require a high pressure to work right. If you are spraying a stream with a gun or wand you can use a much lower pressure around 50 psi. If all you are going to do is use a spray wand you might consider an rv type water puimp that runs on 12 volts and has an automatic pressure switch and regulator built in, about $100 or less. this should be good for a smaller 50 gallon rig for homeowners.

Steve

Tractor
    Montana 4940C, FEL, Quick change 3 point factory hitch, pallet forks, grapple, 50 gal tank sprayer, Bush Hog PHD

What Bird said......do it.
    I am now working on a second sprayer. First was using an old hydraulic pump...totally siezed. Kept in submerged in WD40 for two weeks. Slowly wiggle it and it eventually turned. Then I disassemled it, cleaned it up...now works like a charm.
    Another neighbour gave me a complete sprayer that has been sitting for about three years. Totally siezed. It' sitting in WD40 right now. I know I can recover it too.
    Then I will fill it with Prestone when not in use.
    BTW I keep a couple of gallons of WD40 around just for soaking and recovering things. It really helps.

Good luck on your sprayer.
    Glenn.