Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $?

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $? #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
I have a guy wanting to trade me a Lincoln Weld Pak 100. What is one of these worth used with an empty gas cylinder? He seems to think it's worth $800.

The other question is if this is worth even close to that $800 number, is it going to be that much better than a cheaper Lincoln or Hobart unit I can get spankin new at a big box hardware store?

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $? #2  
I have a guy wanting to trade me a Lincoln Weld Pak 100. What is one of these worth used with an empty gas cylinder? He seems to think it's worth $800.

The other question is if this is worth even close to that $800 number, is it going to be that much better than a cheaper Lincoln or Hobart unit I can get spankin new at a big box hardware store?

I would not pay over $199 Small MIG 110v This [ is ] the low end of the Lincoln MIGs

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $?
I would not pay over $199 Small MIG 110v This [ is ] the low end of the Lincoln MIGs

I've searched E-bay and found that I can get a wire feed model any day of the week for under $250 shipped. But, I haven't seen any with the MIG Conversion. Also, I have no idea what a gas cylinder costs. I've never had a MIG.

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $? #4  
I would not spend money of that small unit, you will just want more. I would recommend the Lincoln 180, up to 3/8 in, I believe.

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $? #5  
I would not spend money of that small unit, you will just want more. I would recommend the Lincoln 180, up to 3/8 in, I believe.

I agree with JJ. Get a 220v unit and you will never be dissappointed.

And it is not worth anywhere near $800, even with the conversion.

Get one that is already set up for gas (most if not all 220v are) and the initial cost of a tank is expensive if you buy it, but they are cheap to refill and you will save more in the long run.

Keep your eyes on ebay and c-list for a good used 220v mig. They are out their so be patient. I was looking for probabally 2 months before I found one in my price range. Older linde 220v 225amp for $600. Came with regulator and new 33lb spool of wire, all that was needed was the gas.

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $? #6  
They were I believe in the mid $300 range when new with the gas kit. It is surely not worth $800 used, even with a bottle. I have a weld pack 100 with a gas kit, and it is a pretty good litle unit. As mentioned, it may not be usefull to you depending on what you want to use it for, as it's duty cycle is pretty limited for the higher current requirements welding above 1/4". I have seen this particular model used by a shipyard contractor. Very durable, and very portable for assembly work(one of the reasons I bought mine 12 years ago). I have used mine pretty hard onevery project I have built with steel over the past 12 years, and it is still going strong.

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $? #7  
Anyone know what a used dual voltage unit costs? I have not seen any advertised used.

Sometimes I only have 120v available where the job is...

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $?
I took the welder. It was a trade so it's hard to say who got the best deal. I figured in my head that the welder, gas kit and tank were worth about $200 as I was adding up the welder and other tools that the guy traded me for my motorcycle. The bike is old and needs work; and I got the welder, a Snapon timing light, and a Snapon tap and die set. I probably wouldn't have taken the trade if I hadn't been trying to sell this bike for the past year.

I already have a 250 amp stick welder that does great on the thicker stuff. I'm looking for a MIG as a compliment to the stick for welding the smaller stuff. From what I've seen about this Weld-pak 100 and what I heard here, I think it will be a good fit. Now I just need to get some gas so that I can try it out.

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $? #9  
Iplayfarmer,

Looks like you received some good advice. JJ is right on the money. I have had a Weld-Pak 100 for about 7 years. At best it is ok for hobby and ornamental things. It does ok for automotive panels and some NON-CRITICAL automotive repairs. I would not pay $800.00 with a gas conversion kit and small gas cylinder. If I remember correctly the new welder and gas conversion kit cost me about $375.00 at Farm & Fleet.

It is nice to have when you have some small job that requires portability. Most every place has 110 volt available, but very few have 220V. Mine is still performing ok, but I am going to get a small unit that runs off of 220 because I now have a Trailblazer generator/welder. Whenever I can I prefer to use SMAW (stick). But sometimes a mig comes in real handy for light sheet metal, and I need a unit with a higher duty cycle. I am currently looking at a Hobart 187, and waiting to see if Farm & Fleet has a sale on them. Have fun with the Weld-Pak 100. If you use it within it's intended light duty welding capacity and do not over exceed it's duty cycle, that little welder will serve you for a long time.

/ Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 $? #10  
Iplayfarmer

You don't need gas to use flux core. Just check the wires inside the panel to weld correctly with out gas.