auto darkening lens #10

/ auto darkening lens #10 #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
Has anyone purchased the auto lens at harbor freight and been happy with it. I called today and they said they sell them for $10.00

/ auto darkening lens #10 #2  
Has anyone purchased the auto lens at harbor freight and been happy with it. I called today and they said they sell them for $10.00

I can't specifically comment on just the lens but I bought one of the Harbor Freight auto darkening helmets on sale for about $50. It works great. I would never go back to a standard lens. It's nice to be able to see the work and not have to keep flipping the helmet up and down.

Stuart

/ auto darkening lens #10 #3  
ditto on Stuart's comment. had mine 4 years now and still ticking.:D

/ auto darkening lens #10 #4  
i'm not a fan of HF stuff but my wife's dad bought one.....i the attitude, "yeah, right.....junk......"

when i used it, i was impressed........that was about 7 years ago.........my grandpa was in his 80's and was having trouble with his helmet......i took him the FIL's and let him try it........he was sold and i ordered him one......still using it about 4 years later.......

when i bought my mig about 4 years ago, i got me one.....still using it.....

the only thing that i might mention is that my welding instructor a few years ago used it and was impressed at it for the price......he was very skeptical.......he did say that he had run in to the cheaper ones having light and dark spots in the lens (not giving you protection)........he said the way to fix this is to lay the hood under a low wattage incandescent light and leave it for a few days to "balance" the lens.......don't know if he was full of crap or not ........he was a pretty sharp fella and an actual welding engineer......

/ auto darkening lens #10 #5  
An Auto-Dark lens for ten bucks? I'm missin' sumpin'! ~S

/ auto darkening lens #10 #7  
I have one that I like it is the type that is solar powered. If i don't use it for a while i have put up to the shop light. Sometimes I stike an arc on scrap material for a few seconds. I have used it for over 20 years. But i payed $150 for it. I don't know if you could get the quality for $10.

/ auto darkening lens #10 #8  
I think I'd double-check that price. I know HF sells a pack of 5 clear lens protectors for their auto-darkening helmets for around $10. (See link: - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices ) I'd almost put money on that being what they are calling an "auto-darkening lens". Probably a badly-named entry in the computer. I can't find any entries for just the lens in their on-line catalogs.

/ auto darkening lens #10 #9  
mechanic,

If you call again, get a part number.