Adding weight to a box blade.

/ Adding weight to a box blade. #1  

Bspring

I have some dies that are solid steel about 12肺12肺3? I want to add some weight to my Box Blade because it skids across the top of our hard dirt. I could add 400 pounds or more but I want to know if this would be a problem for the tractor or if there are any other consequences that I may not have thought of. I normally use the FEL but the BB stays on the tractor, a John Deer 3320. Will I lose power to the FEL with the hydraulics having to support the extra weight of the BB?

/ Adding weight to a box blade. #2  
As long as your tractor can handle the extra weight it's no problem at all.
And you won't lose any power in the hydraulics at all with the FEL. That has to do with your control valve(s). A lot of guys have really heavy boxblades so making yours heavier would be like buying a heavy one.

/ Adding weight to a box blade. #3  
I doubled the weight of mine with bolt-on steel plate, right at the back. It makes it work better into the ground, and it increased its effectiveness as a loader counterweight. Just read your tractor's specifications to determine the max amount to add. Add it in steps if you wish.

/ Adding weight to a box blade.
Jim, if it is not too much trouble could you post a pic of what you did? Also, how thick was the plate you added?

/ Adding weight to a box blade. #5  
Do those die plates have leader pins and bushings in them?
If they have bushing holes in them, you could bolt or weld some long leader pins onto your boxblade. Add them behind the 3pt hook up frame and pile the plates onto the leader pins. Perhaps make 2 sets ... one for each side? I get each die plate weighs about 122lbs, so put the the leader pins where you can easily put the plates on or off without hurting yourself.

Another thought is to have a thinner plates) welded or bolted to the boxblade where you could put the die plates on. In other words, make a frame mount. The thin plate(s) would have two holes in the so you can put some pins through the die plates and thin plates from the top. Then use a lynch pin to secure the leader pins to keep them from falling out.
Rob-

/ Adding weight to a box blade. #6  
I actually borrowed some suitcase weights from the farmer across the road, and hung them on the sides of the box blade. Man, does that work a lot better! It does make the unit wider though.

/ Adding weight to a box blade. #7  
You mean like this ? 784# Mounted my weight case from the garden tractor on the box blade with two allignment pins and one bolt. With the top link cylinder I can cut sod by the inch on a level surface. Works great.

Attachments

• Box blade weight 003.jpg
    Box blade weight 003.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,424
   / Adding weight to a box blade.
3RRL If understand what you are suggesting I was thinking along that line and yes the dies have holes for the pins and bushings. This was my original plan but I realized that I would have to build a brace from the 3 pt hook up down to the back of the BB to hold the dies. That would prevent me from using the top of the BB to transport logs, pallets and other large objects. I could get over this because I don稚 use the BB for that often and I have the FEL. Jimjerkin痴 idea would allow me to add weight and keep the top available. Also, I don稚 want to add any width. If I attached them to the 3 pt hook up with out the support going the back of the BB I was concerned about the extra stress on it.

/ Adding weight to a box blade. #9  
Well, in that case, you could build a little "table top" mount directly over the back of the boxblade sort of like a spoiler.
Support the table top by adding two support tubes or flat bar from either the sides or back of you box. In fact, that would give you a larger surface to carry your stuff on top of the box blade when the plates are off of it. Heck, they might not even get in the way? You could use lynch and hitch pins to make the connections so you could easily remove the table top.
Rob-

/ Adding weight to a box blade. #10  
:)This hard clay I have around here laughs at my box blade and rippers so I have a 55 gallon drum I attach to them and fill it with about 50 gallons of water. I lay the barrel on it side with 1 bung hole up and 1 down. I take the top bung out to fill it and the bottom bung out to drain it. When I want to change implements I just drain the water out. I use ratchet straps to hold the barrel in place. This adds 420 lbs to the implement witch make it work much better. I have been doing this for a couple years now with out any problem with my tractor.