Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter-

/ Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter- #1  

beergut

Tractor
my back
Hi guys!
I built myself a nice log splitter- I was wondering what the pro's & con's are to mounting the wedge on the cylinder, instead of welding it to the i-beam. Anyone have any thoughts on this or experience in which works better?

Attachments

• P1010071.jpg
    P1010071.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,941
  • splitter 1.jpg
    splitter 1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 2,251
  • P1010077.jpg
    P1010077.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,520
   / Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter-
couple more pics- I bought a new cylinder and was going to mount the wedge to the cylinder... I've seen it done both ways, wasn't sure if one is favored over the other...

Attachments

• P1010072.jpg
    P1010072.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,273
  • splitter 2.jpg
    splitter 2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 2,251
   / Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter- #3  
I've used both, and like the wedge mounted on the cylinder much better. With it on the cylider the logs split right in front of you. With the wedge on the beam, the logs are pushed past the platform with each stroke and you are twisting and relocating the logs for additional splits. My back is thankful for the wedge on cylinder design.

ford850- I never even thought of that aspect! you're absolutly right! I'm always bending over to pick up the wood that gets pushed through the fixed wedge to relocate it, If I put the wedge on the cylinder, and weld a small table to the side, the wood will split in front of me and fall onto the table, then I can just throw it where I want to- no more bending over!

Big help, thanks!

Thanks jayste!

The 3.5" cylinder (2.5 x 14 rod 3000psi) & spool valve I took off an old fork truck,
the 8 hp motor (with electric start!) came off an old snow blower my neighbor was throwing away (engine was in excellent shape).
The beam came from a scrap yard for $20-
I bought the pump (haldex 13.6 gpm 3000 psi) & fluid tank from NT- and the current wedge I made myself from 1" stock.
It's all glued together by my humble but mighty little Hobart 210 Mig (which I love)
I just bought a new 12" wedge from NT, which I plan, after much thought, on welding to the cylinder.
A lot of people comment on the small area to split wood- it'll only take about 18", but my stove only takes 16", so it's perfect for me.

I have about $300 into this splitter not too bad considering

oh- and the tires & fenders came off an old yerf dog go kart-

Last edited:
   / Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter- #7  
The advantage to the wedge on the beam is you can put a tray after the wedge for the bigger ones that need re-split, and the ones that don't need re-split, you can just keep pushing and you don't have to worry about having to keep moving split pecies out of the way.

The only advantage to the wedge on the cylinder is the ability to split wood in the vertical position. All the splitters you can buy that are horizontal only have the wedge on the beam. All the ones that are vertical capable have the wedge on the cyl.

Having a ***/vert myself, when splitting in the horizontal position, I would rather have the wedge on the beam, but then it wouldn't do vertical.

/ Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter- #8  
Wedge on the beam is my choice.The wood comes off the end of the splitter,and not at my feet.With the trailer hitch on the opposite end of the wedge ,i simply move ahead a bit if wood builds up at the end of the splitter.Ican worry about getting the next log ,while its returning and not have to throw the splits out of the way.my 2 cents
alan

You guys make some good points- Though, when I think back to when I split wood, I do spend a lot of time moving the wood from around the wedge (welded to the end of the beam) and throwing it out of the way. Since the splitter is already quite low, the wood piles up pretty fast. I'm always bent over. But, if I put the wedge on the cylinder, I can immediately toss it aside without ever bending over. So, I'm going to weld it onto the cylinder for now. What the ****- if I don't like it, I'll grab the OA torches and put the wedge back on the beam... :p

/ Splitter wedge mount location on log splitter- #10  
I have used both. I like the one with wedge on the cylinder. When you encounter a piece you couldnt split or gets stuck, just return it since there is a push off arms o more whacking at the chuck that wouldn't split. This is more important on the lower tonnage splitters then the ones at 30 or higher.