Motor size for 72" deck

/ Motor size for 72" deck #1  

farmboy12

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900 FEL; New Holland TC30 MMM; Ford 1620; Ford 1520 MMM; John Deere X740; John Deere 455 MMM; Craftsman 19.5hp;;;;; Antiques: 1946 John Deere B; 1951 John Deere MT; 1952 Allis Chalmers B; 1967 International 140
Okay, one of my crazy ideas, they make 61" pull behind mowers for ATVs and
UTVs. We have an extra 72" woods rear mower. With a swivel hitch, and a motor it could easily be towed and cut crass with the golf cart, a smaller tractor, or possibly a UTV in the future. My question is, what size motor could we get to put on the mower, I was thinking about 20hp. This would work, wouldn't it? Our Ford 1520 has about 18hp PTO and runs a 72" MMM. Do you think a motor of this size would work?

Kyle

/ Motor size for 72" deck #2  
20 outta be plenty big. My Swisher T60 runs a 13.5 (maybe 14.5...it's raining...) hp.
Gonna have to gear it down to match though.

/ Motor size for 72" deck #3  
I don't think that would be a good idea unless you would be mowing on a flat lawn. that mower is going to weight about the same as the TV I would want to start over a hill with it on the back of ATV.

/ Motor size for 72" deck #6  
my neighbor has a similiar setup but with a 60" bush hog he pulls with a team of perchons he is running a 13 hp honda on his but he claims you need some type of flywheel to make everything work correctly he is useing a baler flywheel been using his for a couple of years now :) me personnally I would not set over top of a flywheel that is spinning at 540 rpm :eek: also the motor has go kart style clutch with a belt pulley instead of a sprocket