PVC Tractor Cab, where to buy Clear Lexan for windows?

/ PVC Tractor Cab, where to buy Clear Lexan for windows? #1  

cdcole

Silver Member
Tractor
TC25D
They only had real thin stuff at Home Depot. I want something thicker.

I decided to build the homemade tractor cab from PVC to block the wind this winter. Anyone know of a source for the Lexan?

/ PVC Tractor Cab, where to buy Clear Lexan for windows?
Thanks! I will call them. Maybe they have an outlet or something :)

/ PVC Tractor Cab, where to buy Clear Lexan for windows? #4  
You should be able to buy Lexan in large sheets from a local glass shop. I have done this many times in small towns too.

If you are going to use large pieces of plastic and maybe Starboard be sure to account for expansion and consider that different materials have different rates too.

Steve

/ PVC Tractor Cab, where to buy Clear Lexan for windows?
Good idea - glass shops. I know that I have to drill holes larger than the screw to allow the sheets to "float". Was thinking the front and rear windows should be glass such that I can wipe them without scratching (maybe with a wiper system). Attaching glass to a PVC frame will be a different challenge. Also, I realize it will have to be safety glass. I guess I find out what is available when at the glass shop. Good idea Jenkinsph.

/ PVC Tractor Cab, where to buy Clear Lexan for windows? #6  
Good idea - glass shops. I know that I have to drill holes larger than the screw to allow the sheets to "float". Was thinking the front and rear windows should be glass such that I can wipe them without scratching (maybe with a wiper system). Attaching glass to a PVC frame will be a different challenge. Also, I realize it will have to be safety glass. I guess I find out what is available when at the glass shop. Good idea Jenkinsph.

For tempered glass it is first cut and drlled shaped ect from regular glass first.
Then it is tempered afterwards as a final process, this service is available in most larger cities. Understand you can't modify it once it has been tempered.

Why choose PVC for the structure? It would seem there are lots of materials better suited for this project.

/ PVC Tractor Cab, where to buy Clear Lexan for windows? #7  
Jenkinsph is absolutely correct re: Tempered Glass. A friend cut down a regular pick-up cap to fit a compact truck. We thought we'd just cut the back window glass down about 8". After 3/4" with a diamond dust rod saw in a hack saw frame, it shattered in a bizillion pieces. ~Scotty

/ PVC Tractor Cab, where to buy Clear Lexan for windows? #8  
Don't know where in Wisconsin you are but there is Regal Plastic Supply in
LA CROSSE, WI 54603
3160 AIRPORT ROAD
608-784-2334
877-784-2334
608-784-2336 fax
They should have it and would cut to size if you give them measurements. If scratching is a concern, then be sure to go the extra bucks and get a scratch resistant material. You can get it in Plexiglas or Lexan. I used Lexan MR-10 for my cab. I brush against evergreens all the time while mowing and have'nt put any scratches in them yet.
Expansion / contraction rate is 1/16" inch per linial foot. You won't need to oversize the holes much. Mine are rubber mounted.
Scratch resistant Lexan may be near $200.00 for 48" X 96" sheet 1/4" thick.
Any plastic distribution place will have a better quality material than you will find at the home centers. The cheap stuff will yellow and get brittle.

/ PVC Tractor Cab, where to buy Clear Lexan for windows? #9  
   / PVC Tractor Cab, where to buy Clear Lexan for windows? #10  
Safety glass for front and rear to enable wiping without scratching is a good idea. I would recommend laminate glass rather than tempered for this. If struck, tempered glass will shatter in a bizillion (as Scotty pointed out) while laminated glass will crack. A junked step van or school bus is a good source for flat laminated glass.