Loader for a Garden tractor

/ Loader for a Garden tractor #1  

hondarancher4435

Hi, this is my first post although i have been reading on this forum for a while. I am looking to buy an older Garden Tractor and build a loader for it. this will be a very low budget project i am not in the position to spend alot of money on it just looking for a project that will be extremely usefull for my needs. i have many ideas for this

1. build a standard FEL with hydraulics
2. build a standard FEL with linear actuators
3. build a boom on the front that uses a winch to raise and lower the bucket and another winch to tilt the bucket

i also have much more in depth ideas on these ideas and will post them once i narrow down to which idea would be my best bet.

i have access to a welding machine and all necessary tools to build it.

like i said i am on a tight budget and can spend no more than $800 i am looking to spend no more than $500 on the tractor which would leave atleast $300 for the loader built which is tight but seems feasible.

here are some tractors i am looking at give me your opinion

cub cadet 86 series tractor
IH Cub Cadet 149 Garden Tractor
Case 220 Tractor with attachments

looking at a few more but you get the idea

/ Loader for a Garden tractor #2  
A much more suitable garden tractor would be the Case 440-series:
442 = 12 HP
444 = 14 HP
446 = 16 HP
448 = 18 HP.

These have large 16" (wheel dia.) rear wheels (about 31" outside dia.), and are fully hydraulic-drive ( forward movement as well as any implements ), so they should have plenty of hydraulic power for your loader.

I've seen 446's and 448's with loaders, so you might even be able to find one that already has a loader.

/ Loader for a Garden tractor #3  
You would need some series linear actuators (and series electric power to run them), or they would probably be way too slow to make it useful. I would definitely stick to hydraulics for this project.

/ Loader for a Garden tractor
i am actually looking a case 444 do they have a quick connect on the hydraulics or how would i go about tapping into their hydro system.

what about the case 220 there is a nice one with a rebuit motor that comes with a plow, deck , and snow blower for $300

/ Loader for a Garden tractor #5  
I am not real familiar with either model, but if you post your question to the Case forum, you'll probably get an answer. The 44x series tractors seem to have quite a following.

I would assume that it is an open-center hydraulic system, like many other tractors, in which case, you can probably just add a control valve with a power-beyond circuit in series with the rest of the hydraulic loop.

I used the following valve for my loader:
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009052714483962&item=9-7401

You'll also need the power beyond sleave:
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009052714483962&item=9-7401-B

They have a lessor expensive one for $169:
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009052714483962&item=9-7694&catname=hydraulic

This one already has the power beyond port.

You just connect the 'P' (pressure/pump) port to the pump, and the 'Power Beyond' port to what was connected to the pump, and the 'T' (tank) back to your hydraulic resovior.

You can sometimes find two-spool valves used on ebay, but be sure they have the power beyond sleeve, or that you can get one, before you buy one.

Hydraulic components are not cheap if buying new (it cost me about $500 in valves, hoses and fittings to add 2 rear remotes to my tractor). If you really want to build your own loader on the cheap, then you might be best to find a tractor salvage yard to scrounge valves, hoses, etc.

/ Loader for a Garden tractor #6  
I don't think the Cub 86 is a good choice.

The Cub 149 has a good reputation and many Cub Cadet collectors think it is one of the best models Cub Cadet made before they went to the more complicated 1250-1450-1650 series. The axle pins on the front wheels might be an issue if you put much weight on them.

I am not familiar enough with Case to give you any help there.

/ Loader for a Garden tractor #7  
Unless your some type of magician or have a huge spare parts bin I don't think you will get much of a loader built for 300 dollars. I have $840. in mine and didn't hire out any machine shop work. Cylinders, hoses, fittings, controls, steel all add up quickly. No sense in cutting corners if you want it to be functional. They last a lifetime unless a new model catches your eye. Good luck with your venture.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 21,265
   / Loader for a Garden tractor #8  
Unless your some type of magician or have a huge spare parts bin I don't think you will get much of a loader built for 300 dollars. I have $840. in mine and didn't hire out any machine shop work. Cylinders, hoses, fittings, controls, steel all add up quickly. No sense in cutting corners if you want it to be functional. They last a lifetime unless a new model catches your eye. Good luck with your venture.

Great job!!!

That looks like a strong built bucket....very nice:D

/ Loader for a Garden tractor #9  
I would do the same thing but I dont think my Deere L118 could handle a loader.

/ Loader for a Garden tractor

That's a real nice loader you built looks factory
:)

I am going to save up some more than i origonally thought i am going to get the tractor now and build some rear attachments( box blade, scraper balde) then once i get the money saved up i will build the loader.