Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Loader for a Garden tractor

Hi, this is my first post although i have been reading on this forum for a while. I am looking to buy an older Garden Tractor and build a loader for it. this will be a very low budget project i am not in the position to spend alot of money on it just looking for a project that will be extremely usefull for my needs. i have many ideas for this

1. build a standard FEL with hydraulics
    2. build a standard FEL with linear actuators
    3. build a boom on the front that uses a winch to raise and lower the bucket and another winch to tilt the bucket

i also have much more in depth ideas on these ideas and will post them once i narrow down to which idea would be my best bet.

i have access to a welding machine and all necessary tools to build it.

like i said i am on a tight budget and can spend no more than $800 i am looking to spend no more than $500 on the tractor which would leave atleast $300 for the loader built which is tight but seems feasible.

here are some tractors i am looking at give me your opinion

cub cadet 86 series tractor
    IH Cub Cadet 149 Garden Tractor
    Case 220 Tractor with attachments

looking at a few more but you get the idea

Tractor
    Kubota B7610 + Kubota G1800-S

Default Re: Loader for a Garden tractor

A much more suitable garden tractor would be the Case 440-series:
    442 = 12 HP
    444 = 14 HP
    446 = 16 HP
    448 = 18 HP.

These have large 16" (wheel dia.) rear wheels (about 31" outside dia.), and are fully hydraulic-drive ( forward movement as well as any implements ), so they should have plenty of hydraulic power for your loader.

I've seen 446's and 448's with loaders, so you might even be able to find one that already has a loader.
    '05 B7610 w/ LA352 FEL
    Everything Attachments Pin-on Pallet Forks, home-made FEL quick attach to swap between these forks and the bucket, Dual rear remotes, CCM Top-N-Tilt, Woods SB60 snowblower, 66" United box blade, 60" back blade (cheapo, old and rusty), 60" KK rake, Woods PHD w/ 9" auger, Yanmar RS1303 3pt tiller, Kubota Ballast box (came with the tractor), Farm Force Carry All.
    '9? G1800S, 48" MMM. 70's Troy Bilt Horse tiller with new 6.5HP briggs engine.

The means justify the ends.

Tractor

You would need some series linear actuators (and series electric power to run them), or they would probably be way too slow to make it useful. I would definitely stick to hydraulics for this project.
    '05 B7610 w/ LA352 FEL
    Everything Attachments Pin-on Pallet Forks, home-made FEL quick attach to swap between these forks and the bucket, Dual rear remotes, CCM Top-N-Tilt, Woods SB60 snowblower, 66" United box blade, 60" back blade (cheapo, old and rusty), 60" KK rake, Woods PHD w/ 9" auger, Yanmar RS1303 3pt tiller, Kubota Ballast box (came with the tractor), Farm Force Carry All.

i am actually looking a case 444 do they have a quick connect on the hydraulics or how would i go about tapping into their hydro system.

what about the case 220 there is a nice one with a rebuit motor that comes with a plow, deck , and snow blower for $300

Tractor

I am not real familiar with either model, but if you post your question to the Case forum, you'll probably get an answer. The 44x series tractors seem to have quite a following.

I would assume that it is an open-center hydraulic system, like many other tractors, in which case, you can probably just add a control valve with a power-beyond circuit in series with the rest of the hydraulic loop.

I used the following valve for my loader:
    https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...62&item=9-7401

You'll also need the power beyond sleave:
    https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...&item=9-7401-B

They have a lessor expensive one for $169:
    https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...name=hydraulic

This one already has the power beyond port.

You just connect the 'P' (pressure/pump) port to the pump, and the 'Power Beyond' port to what was connected to the pump, and the 'T' (tank) back to your hydraulic resovior.

You can sometimes find two-spool valves used on ebay, but be sure they have the power beyond sleeve, or that you can get one, before you buy one.

Hydraulic components are not cheap if buying new (it cost me about $500 in valves, hoses and fittings to add 2 rear remotes to my tractor). If you really want to build your own loader on the cheap, then you might be best to find a tractor salvage yard to scrounge valves, hoses, etc.
    '05 B7610 w/ LA352 FEL

Elite Member

I don't think the Cub 86 is a good choice.

The Cub 149 has a good reputation and many Cub Cadet collectors think it is one of the best models Cub Cadet made before they went to the more complicated 1250-1450-1650 series. The axle pins on the front wheels might be an issue if you put much weight on them.

I am not familiar enough with Case to give you any help there.

Tractor
    New Holland TC 55 DA, 4110 John Deere, HT 20 Bolens, 1456 Bolens

Unless your some type of magician or have a huge spare parts bin I don't think you will get much of a loader built for 300 dollars. I have $840. in mine and didn't hire out any machine shop work. Cylinders, hoses, fittings, controls, steel all add up quickly. No sense in cutting corners if you want it to be functional. They last a lifetime unless a new model catches your eye. Good luck with your venture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -007-jpg  

Tractor
    John Deere 4300

Quote Originally Posted by joes_427_vette View Post
    Unless your some type of magician or have a huge spare parts bin I don't think you will get much of a loader built for 300 dollars. I have $840. in mine and didn't hire out any machine shop work. Cylinders, hoses, fittings, controls, steel all add up quickly. No sense in cutting corners if you want it to be functional. They last a lifetime unless a new model catches your eye. Good luck with your venture.
    Great job!!!

That looks like a strong built bucket....very nice
    John 3:16

01 JohnDeere4300 "Sync-Reverser", Vertical Exhaust, 2 JD Lawn Tractors, JD Walk Behind.

430-FEL/ 47-Backhoe/ 5' Bush-Hog/ Single Bottom Plow/ 6' Disc/ Aerator Spreader/ HF Quick-Hitch!

(Homemade Stuff) BH Thumb/ Log-Hitch/ 10' Boom-Pole/ 42'' Pallet Forks ''FEL Quick Attach & 3PH Quick-Hitch-Attach''/ Ballast Box 1381 lbs./ Aluminum Canopy/ Brush-Guard Mod/ 5x10 Firewood Trailer/ Lawn Striper.

Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

I would do the same thing but I dont think my Deere L118 could handle a loader.
    My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club

Quote Originally Posted by joes_427_vette View Post
    That's a real nice loader you built looks factory

I am going to save up some more than i origonally thought i am going to get the tractor now and build some rear attachments( box blade, scraper balde) then once i get the money saved up i will build the loader.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast