Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer...

/ Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer... #1  

Complete

Bronze Member
Hey guys new here have a couple questions.

I recently picked up and old brush cutter. Real similar to this

ps-406_left.gif

I can't complain the price was FREE:D

I wanted to turn it into something similar to this

prod9.jpg

My problem is I have no idea what size or spec hydraulic motor I should use.

Could anyone help me with this task?

Here is my machine

CIMG2534.jpg

/ Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer... #2  
Is the cutter wider than your skid? Nice machine not to scratch up for no reason.

I'd put some guage wheels on the now front and get a suitable HYD motor... ur question: Just look up the specs on torque and volumn on a commercially produced unit or ask a dealer and match it, won't be cheap unless you find an old bone yard for like a state DOT and get it there. That BH has a 6 spline 1 and 3/8 shaft I think so hooking up would be a breeze. Looks like a week end job.

Last edited:
   / Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer...
Is the cutter wider than your skid? Nice machine not to scratch up for no reason.

I'd put some guage wheels on the now front and get a suitable HYD motor... ur question: Just look up the specs on torque and volumn on a commercially produced unit or ask a dealer and match it, won't be cheap unless you find an old bone yard for like a state DOT and get it there. That BH has a 6 spline 1 and 3/8 shaft I think so hooking up would be a breeze. Looks like a week end job.

Well the hog I picked up the under side blade disc was completely rusted away so I cut that off and fixing to cut the gear box off.

I just need to find a suitable hyd motor to bolt in place of the original gear box :D

/ Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer... #5  
See I don't want to hook into the gear box I want a direct drive hyd motor so I can run the 20gpm line on my skid steer. That and there is less power loss from the hyd motor, to the gear box, to the blades.

A direct drive motor should spin a little faster and cut more dense brush.

/ Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer... #7  
What is you output in GPM to your aux circuit.

What is you output in GPM to your aux circuit.

I have 20gpm circuit and I have a 38gpm circuit. Plan on using the 20gpm want to try and cut stuff up to about 4" in diameter.

/ Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer... #9  
If you have an output of 25 GPM, and you want to turn the cutter at around 540, then you will need a 10 cu in motor. Now you will have to find a shaft and stump jumper assembly to match up with the motor via a flex coupling.

/ Homeade Brush Cutter.....for skid steer... #10  
Last edited: