Side arm cutter

/ Side arm cutter #1  

chipmaker

Tractor
1720 Ford
Hi
I am new in this forum, but I wanted to share my side arm creation with you all. Its built from a rider mower deck and ataches by way of a three point hitch with a receiver type mount. Its fully adjustable to cut banks, specifically I made it to trim around the steep banks of my pond and stream. Its nothing fancy, just a simple attachment that does what its intended use is. Single image is posted here, but a link to all the images is located at: http://home.att.net/~chipmaker/default.html
Sel;ect the "MY PROJECTS completed" link and you will see the link to the side-arm cutter on that page. If posting webpage links is not allowed I appologize.

Attachments

• 53-160259-linkadjrightside.JPG
    53-160259-linkadjrightside.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 2,024
   / Side arm cutter #2  
That is a great situp. Gives me an idea.

/ Side arm cutter #3  
Hi, I saw a post about your sidearm cutter on another forum without the pictures this am. Then I came here & found this post with the pictures. Pretty neat setup. Also your homepage is nice & informative.

/ Side arm cutter #4  
Chipmaker, I like what you have done there. I don't know if you have a set of hydraulic remotes but if you do or someone else is thinking of building one of these I have a possible modification. I have altered your picture to show how you might be able to use a hydraulic cylinder to make things easier. I am no engineer so if this looks wrong it was just a thought.

If nothing else you may be able to put a regular toplink in where I have the hydraulic one shown and you wouldn't have to walk down to the bank to adjust it.

Attachments

• 53-160310-Boom_Mower_W_Hyd_Cyl.jpg
    53-160310-Boom_Mower_W_Hyd_Cyl.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 1,300
   / Side arm cutter
I had been thinking along the lines of adding a hydraulic cylinder in place where toplink is used to adjust the deck angle. Unfortunately my 1720 Ford does not have remote hydraulics on it. It has the block that you turn with a screwdriver to open or close, on the right isde off the main hydraulic lines, but I know absolutely nothing about it. I don't know what would be involved in adding remote outlets to the tractor but I am definetly interested. My local dealer just says bring it in and well take care of it.......not exactly what I want. I am more than capable of doing my own work, I just don't understand this hydraulic system and what parts I would need. I do have a normally closed valve, but then again it may take a normally open or whatever.

Appreciate your interest in my cutter.

/ Side arm cutter #6  
One way to learn more about it is to get an oil pressure guage and plumb it in to some of the plugged ports you have available. You can then find out what is under pressure and when. Getting a tech manual for your tractor should also help you figure it out.

My thought when looking at your side arm cutter was to pivot the boom arm off the draw bar (not a 3pt drawbar), and then raise and lower the boom arm by attaching it to the 3pt. The side arm cutter is a clever idea. Protection from flying debris would be a serious consideration.

/ Side arm cutter #7  
Chipmaker,
I've only been doing this tractor thing since last November so I don't have a lot of knowledge on all the tractors out there. I am assuming since your 1720 is a Ford and not a New Holland it is probably at least 5 years old. There may still be a kit available to install the remote outlets. I bought the kit and did it myself knowing absolutely nothing about hydraulics. The kit came with adequate instructions and other than having to buy a heavy duty floor jack I was all set. Just call the parts department instead of the salesman and see if there is a kit available.

/ Side arm cutter #8  
Great website with details of your cutter.

Nice looking dam you have there too.

Cheers

/ Side arm cutter #9  
Just in case you were wondering about the year it was made. The 1720's were built between 1987 and 1991. On the left side of the transmission is the S/N. According to a tractor book I have, the S/N's for the first tractor made for each year are: UL21001 (1897), UL22701 (1988), UL26556 (1989, UL28601 (1990) and UL30784 (1991)...................chim

/ Side arm cutter #10  
I see from your webpage you mentioned something about the water table in Alabama. What part? I see moss in the trees so you must be in the southern part. I am in Athens. Good looking cutter by the way.