Plate steel pricing ??

/ Plate steel pricing ?? #11  
There's a chance a machine shop or fabrication shop may want it, but not at full price IMHO, even at a discount I don't know if too many shops would want it.

That's a lot of steel to just have laying around waiting for an odd request. I have drawn machinery bases in the past that used comparable size steel plate--BUT I also specify what steel to use, whether its M1020 or A36 or something else. When I place an order with a machine shop, the shop is responsible for getting the proper steel, so they almost always then order it directly from a steel supplier. That way they are assured it is the proper steel, clean without a lot of rust, of known origin, and they don't carry a lot of unnecessary steel in their own inventory. Many shops now will have have their steel plate pre-cut to the exact size in advance, saves them time and money ( a steel supplier with a CNC plasma cutter or waterjet or other such cuttter can do it cheaper, faster).

edit: In fact, let me state a little more emphatically: NOBODY should take a piece of plate steel, from unknown origin, and use it on a critical item--like say a bridge, or a critical piece of machinery. They can't be assured of its metallurgy, or whether it's been damaged; fatigued, for example--or even struck by lightning. I saw an I beam that had been hit by lightning, it was now very brittle and useless for anything structural.

Sorry, I calls em as I sees em, ain't personal at all!

People get bent easily around here.........

/ Plate steel pricing ?? #12  
try selling it to a company that does road construction. it sounds like, as already mentioned, it is a roadplate. and road plates are not "regulated" as they generally bridge very short spans, like 12" or less

/ Plate steel pricing ?? #13  
People get bent easily around here.........

Maybe so...but I'd have to agree with Bill_C's points

As for my personal experience....recently I've been working my own projects and I've seriously given up on "scrap steel" only because I can get brand NEW Steel for the same if not less money. Seems like the places that sell new steel have adjusted their prices accordingly and I pay "market value" and the scrappers still think its 2007-2008 when steel was more expensive then gold.
-Brand new steel...no rust, no paint, EXACTLY what I want/need loaded into the bed of my truck for less then the scrapper charges.

I guess what I'm saying is, figure out what a new piece would cost TODAY and slash that price.

/ Plate steel pricing ?? #14  
How could you make a price comparison on steel that you don't know where it is vs what it might be worth in my state ? It would make a great welding table. Who knows if it is super rusty or bent ? If it was left behind it kind of tells the story it isn't worth a ton of money. I only buy pieces that work for my particular project. Find the gold at the end of the rainbow... the one in a thousand that needs this particular piece and he may pay the premium price. Good luck !

/ Plate steel pricing ?? #15  
It seems to me that a plate of steel like that would have had limited original uses - most likely to cover a temporary hole in the road during construction / road repair. Therefore, I'd suggest talking to road contractors to see if they want to buy it - or buy it back, depending on where it came from. :D