Plate steel pricing ??

/ Plate steel pricing ?? #1  

nckubota

I have a 5' X 13'-10" X 1" piece of steel anyboby have an idea how much it is worth ??

/ Plate steel pricing ?? #3  
Construction road-plate?

/ Plate steel pricing ?? #4  
I'm paying 25 cents a pound for used steel at a local scrap yard when I need steel for a project. Naturally, the yard pays considerably less when they buy it.

So, you could do a quick calculation to determine how much it weighs to estimate its worth.

About 2800# is my guess

/ Plate steel pricing ?? #5  
As a full piece of plate, it could be worth more than scrap value to the right person. The problem is finding that right person:D

/ Plate steel pricing ?? #6  
I have a 5' X 13'-10" X 1" piece of steel anyboby have an idea how much it is worth ??

Surely, someone on TBN would buy it to make a heavy duty canopy for their entire CUT.

/ Plate steel pricing ??
Thanks a bunch. I am sure it is worth more than scrap priice, which in out area is 5 cents a pound last load I took to the scrap yard. We have a machine shop locally that builds custom trailers, large truck beds/frames, fire escapes, bridges, etc. I think I will approach them about and see if there is any interest.

/ Plate steel pricing ?? #8  
There's a chance a machine shop or fabrication shop may want it, but not at full price IMHO, even at a discount I don't know if too many shops would want it.

That's a lot of steel to just have laying around waiting for an odd request. I have drawn machinery bases in the past that used comparable size steel plate--BUT I also specify what steel to use, whether its M1020 or A36 or something else. When I place an order with a machine shop, the shop is responsible for getting the proper steel, so they almost always then order it directly from a steel supplier. That way they are assured it is the proper steel, clean without a lot of rust, of known origin, and they don't carry a lot of unnecessary steel in their own inventory. Many shops now will have have their steel plate pre-cut to the exact size in advance, saves them time and money ( a steel supplier with a CNC plasma cutter or waterjet or other such cuttter can do it cheaper, faster).

edit: In fact, let me state a little more emphatically: NOBODY should take a piece of plate steel, from unknown origin, and use it on a critical item--like say a bridge, or a critical piece of machinery. They can't be assured of its metallurgy, or whether it's been damaged; fatigued, for example--or even struck by lightning. I saw an I beam that had been hit by lightning, it was now very brittle and useless for anything structural.

Sorry, I calls em as I sees em, ain't personal at all!

/ Plate steel pricing ??
No problem and I agree totally, Who said anything about new prices ? I just hate to sell a chunk of steel like this for scrap, based on the prices I saw a smaller size would be over $2500.00. I just bought a piece of neighboring property that was owned by a small shop welder who passed away and this big chunk of steel is on the property we are trying to clean up (along with tractor/dozer/truck frames and parts and various metal odds and ends).

I would never suggest using this for something structural or load bearing in any way without knowing the type of steel it is. I am a licensed commercial and residential contractor and a licensed public utility water and sewer contractor so I am familiar with engineer specifications for structural steel. Thanks for your input.

/ Plate steel pricing ?? #10  
Just where are you located? If you were close by I could use something like that for a welding/work table.