Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Plate steel pricing ??

I have a 5' X 13'-10" X 1" piece of steel anyboby have an idea how much it is worth ??

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B6100DT

Default Re: Plate steel pricing ??

Dan C.
    B6100DT, FEL, BH

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    318 John Deere, 4200 John Deere, 1947 John Deere "M"

Construction road-plate?

Veteran Member

I'm paying 25 cents a pound for used steel at a local scrap yard when I need steel for a project. Naturally, the yard pays considerably less when they buy it.

So, you could do a quick calculation to determine how much it weighs to estimate its worth.

About 2800# is my guess

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

As a full piece of plate, it could be worth more than scrap value to the right person. The problem is finding that right person

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806

Quote Originally Posted by nckubota View Post
    I have a 5' X 13'-10" X 1" piece of steel anyboby have an idea how much it is worth ??
    Surely, someone on TBN would buy it to make a heavy duty canopy for their entire CUT.

Thanks a bunch. I am sure it is worth more than scrap priice, which in out area is 5 cents a pound last load I took to the scrap yard. We have a machine shop locally that builds custom trailers, large truck beds/frames, fire escapes, bridges, etc. I think I will approach them about and see if there is any interest.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1100

There's a chance a machine shop or fabrication shop may want it, but not at full price IMHO, even at a discount I don't know if too many shops would want it.

That's a lot of steel to just have laying around waiting for an odd request. I have drawn machinery bases in the past that used comparable size steel plate--BUT I also specify what steel to use, whether its M1020 or A36 or something else. When I place an order with a machine shop, the shop is responsible for getting the proper steel, so they almost always then order it directly from a steel supplier. That way they are assured it is the proper steel, clean without a lot of rust, of known origin, and they don't carry a lot of unnecessary steel in their own inventory. Many shops now will have have their steel plate pre-cut to the exact size in advance, saves them time and money ( a steel supplier with a CNC plasma cutter or waterjet or other such cuttter can do it cheaper, faster).

edit: In fact, let me state a little more emphatically: NOBODY should take a piece of plate steel, from unknown origin, and use it on a critical item--like say a bridge, or a critical piece of machinery. They can't be assured of its metallurgy, or whether it's been damaged; fatigued, for example--or even struck by lightning. I saw an I beam that had been hit by lightning, it was now very brittle and useless for anything structural.

Sorry, I calls em as I sees em, ain't personal at all!

No problem and I agree totally, Who said anything about new prices ? I just hate to sell a chunk of steel like this for scrap, based on the prices I saw a smaller size would be over $2500.00. I just bought a piece of neighboring property that was owned by a small shop welder who passed away and this big chunk of steel is on the property we are trying to clean up (along with tractor/dozer/truck frames and parts and various metal odds and ends).

I would never suggest using this for something structural or load bearing in any way without knowing the type of steel it is. I am a licensed commercial and residential contractor and a licensed public utility water and sewer contractor so I am familiar with engineer specifications for structural steel. Thanks for your input.

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Just where are you located? If you were close by I could use something like that for a welding/work table.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast