Building loader & backhoe for lawn tractor

/ Building loader & backhoe for lawn tractor #1  

chvojka

Hello, I'm new here and decided to join for some advice on my next project. I have a john deere 110 and will be building a front loader and mini backhoe. I am looking for those of you who have had similar projects to help me with determining hydraulic flow cylinder sizes etc.

Loaders of the size i'm looking to build use 2" cylinders (I'm assuming it is diameter not bore size). I am wondering if a backhoe could use the same side cylinders with relief set for a higher pressure? Also where can I get good pricing on said cylinders?

I'm pumped to get working on this project!

Thanks Joe

/ Building loader & backhoe for lawn tractor #2  
Welcome!

For your project you might start by looking at an existing one and work from there. Your cylinder size will depend on available pressure and what forces you are wanting to achieve. Once you have cylinder sizes (bore and diameter mean the same thing) will determine how fast (or slow) it operates on your available flow (or to spec a pump).

You might get a better kick off to your project to eyeball an existing one; there are some builds here that you can refer to.

A source for parts would depend on your location. Canada, I would recommend Princess Auto; US - I have read here that Surplus Center is a good source. A few searches through the Projects forum will reveal lots of info.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Mike

/ Building loader & backhoe for lawn tractor #3  
check out the p.f egineering plans they are a cool rig

/ Building loader & backhoe for lawn tractor #5  
if its a heavey built old lawn tractor it would probly do ok

/ Building loader & backhoe for lawn tractor #6  
check out the p.f egineering plans they are a cool rig

I bought the P.F Engineering plans for the loader and mini backhoe. It is worth every penny. I strayed and customized quite a bit, but without the plans toalways refer back to, it would have been incredibly frustrating.

A smaller, older tractor is perfectly capable of handling a mini-backhoe and FEL. My FEL will only lift about 800 lbs, but it sure is handy because it is small and easily manuverable where a larger tractor would get trapped. I can drive mine through a 46" wide passage.

Doug

/ Building loader & backhoe for lawn tractor #7  
Will this help.

DaytonLoaderALCYLN.jpg

The finished project.

SideView1.jpg

/ Building loader & backhoe for lawn tractor
Thanks for the specs Blacksmith! What size pump are you using?

My 110 John Deere is a 1966 and is well made. The whole frame is 3/16" steel.
the front end is solid cast and the rear end is a thick cast housing. I hope it will hold up. I should be starting in the next week or so. I'll start posting pics so you can give advice as I build along.

Thanks

Joe

/ Building loader & backhoe for lawn tractor #9  
That tractor will be okay,especially if you do the front axle upgrade. There are lots of home made loaders on 110s.

/ Building loader & backhoe for lawn tractor
What upgrade should I do for the front end?