Stump Grinder Finished

/ Stump Grinder Finished #1  

kruszert

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 35
I finally finished my stump grinder - - - and it actually works!

P1000385.jpg

P1000386.jpg

P1000387.jpg

P1000388.jpg

No major problems, no rebuilt.

One learning - - -position the tractor upwind when grinding!:eek:

Reggie

/ Stump Grinder Finished #2  
Wow is all I have to say. That looks great.

/ Stump Grinder Finished #3  
Looks good. Did you use a 1 to 1 ratio in the gearbox, or a step up ratio..

/ Stump Grinder Finished #4  
Very cool! Is it chain drive? How about the right angle gear box, what ratio is it? I'm also curious about the uneven spacing of the teeth on the grinder wheel.
:D

/ Stump Grinder Finished #5  
As my kids would say "SWEET"

/ Stump Grinder Finished #6  
Could of used that 3 wks. ago. Nice job

/ Stump Grinder Finished #7  
Me too! Maiden voyage yesterday! 20 some stumps! 4"-20" pine, some 6"-10" cherry. I'm happy with it! Poor pictures, better ones to follow! Hey-"DaBear"---I did it! ~Scotty

Attachments

• SGFinished1.jpg
    SGFinished1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,937
  • SGFinisher2.jpg
    SGFinisher2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 2,406
   / Stump Grinder Finished #8  
kruszert ,

Would you tell us a little more about the logic for the teeth placement.

/ Stump Grinder Finished
Scotty - - - looks like we finished about the same time. You are a few stumps ahead of me. Good job!

My gear box is a speed increase type. Ratio is 1 to 1.46. Bought it on ebay and it seems to work - - - never can tell about stuff from ebay. I used a
#100 roller chain and sped up a little more, 17 tooth on the drive and 11 tooth on the shaft. Running the tractor around 2100 rpm (2400 rpm is used to get 540 at PTO) works best. I have found that the grinder has a tendancy to pull into the stump if you are taking too big a bite. It can bring the tractor to an immediate stop - - a little scary. Just like any new piece of equipment I am learning as I go. No damage done so far - - - except for stumps:).

As for tooth placement. I have 6 sets of angled Greenteeth (700 series)spaced evenly 60 degrees apart around the wheel. Then I have two sets of straight teeth 180 deg. apart. It shows in the picture and gives the impression of odd placement. I was told but the salesperson at Green Mfg. that the straight teeth were needed if I wanted to grind straight down into a stump rather than come from the side. I saw the same tooth placement on a Vermeer SG 252 so I figured I should do it too. Can't say that I have needed them but it was easy to drill a few more holes when the wheel was on the mill and would be difficult to drill later.

Thanks for kind words,
Reggie

/ Stump Grinder Finished #10  
Very nice job there Reggie

Steve