$60 Canopy ! ! !

/ $60 Canopy ! ! ! #1  

Big Bri

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
So for the past few days its been 95 to 100 out side and i've got one heck of a sunburn sitting on the tractor.

Priced a canopy at the kubota shop. . . i don't think so.

so i made one and i have Just over $60 in it.

I wanted this thing to come off easy, because when the rops are up my tractor will not fit in the door.

so i welded a 10" long x 1 1/2" tube to a 6" wide x 12" flat plate. I then used u bolts and bolted it to the ROPS.

Then i made a frame out of 1 1/4" box tube. it was 3' X 2' 10" . On one end i welded a 10" 1 1/4" down leg on both corners and the welded on a 7" angle brace to the down leg and the frame.

The down legs slip into the 1 1/2" tube that i bolted on the rops.

next i bolted a used Golf cart top to the frame with 5/16 stainless bolts.

$18 steel
$25 used golf cart top
$20 in u bolts stainless bolts and rattle can of black paint

i do wish is was a little bigger but for the price couldn't pass it up.

once i pop off the canopy i can still fold the rops and get in the shed

I plan to add some lights to the other end of the plate (the ones in front of the tractor get blocked by the bucket.

Attachments

• Picture 043.jpg
    Picture 043.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 1,499
  • Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 1,310
  • Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    729.9 KB · Views: 1,625
  • Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 2,046
   / $60 Canopy ! ! !
just a couple other shots

Attachments

• Picture 040.jpg
    Picture 040.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 1,190
  • Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 1,223
   / $60 Canopy ! ! ! #3  
Nice job. My factory canopy will fold down with the ROPS and not hit anything. Give it a try.

Chris

/ $60 Canopy ! ! ! #4  
just a couple other shots

Very nice work! Just one question, in the background next to the garage I see some wheels and tires attached to a rearend? What are those out of? Looks like muscle car material?

/ $60 Canopy ! ! !
Very nice work! Just one question, in the background next to the garage I see some wheels and tires attached to a rearend? What are those out of? Looks like muscle car material?

that rear end is out of a AC Cobra Kit Car. I Built one about 12 years ago, a friend of mine liked it so much he built one too. About a year ago he flipped his end over end. I paid him $1200 for the wreck and parted it out, and kept a few parts for myself. he had an Ford 8.8 with Disk breaks. . . i have drums. so one day i'm going to put it in my car.

/ $60 Canopy ! ! ! #6  
Nice job, Big Bri. looks very professional. Can you tell me about how many hours it took to complete it?

/ $60 Canopy ! ! !
Nice job, Big Bri. looks very professional. Can you tell me about how many hours it took to complete it?

Now i'm no fab shop guy, but after i picked up all the steel, the golf cart top, and the hardware i have about 4 to 5hrs cutting and welding. then just had to wait for the paint to dry. it really wasn't that hard.
I picked up the top from a golf cart store. they had about 50 used tops in the back, told me to pick one out and it would be $25. they all had scratches, chips, or cracks. i just found the nicest one.

I picked up the steel from a Gate shop, they make iron gates. i find it cheeper to buy from little shops like this, lowes and homedepot are to high, and the steel shops want you to buy in bulk.

Good luck if you try one and if you have any questions on how i did something just ask

/ $60 Canopy ! ! ! #8  
Nice lookng job. Looks like it "belongs".
Makes me remember I have to get going on one for myself.

/ $60 Canopy ! ! ! #9  
Looks good and a simple design - I may copy it (I hope that is why you are sharing:) )

Before the safety police take a look, I hope the ROPS locking bolts are in place when you use the tractor.:eek:

Cityfarma

/ $60 Canopy ! ! ! #10  
No wonder I can't sell mine. You are giving everyone some great ideas on building their own.