BOX BLADE BUILD?

/ BOX BLADE BUILD? #1  

workinallthetime

Veteran Member
Tractor
L45 TLB, ZD326P
Has anyone built their own box blade on here? For the cost of what your getting now days, it sure seems a guy could slap one together for 1/4 of the cost.

/ BOX BLADE BUILD? #2  
Kind of, i had mine made by a AG implement manufacturer.

Well, in reality it was private person.
The boss of the AG company allows his people to start their own initiatives using the materials and equipment of his company at cost so he doesnt loose his good people when business comes back.

So this guy knows how to build blades and ploughs and ... for big AG tractors and that kinda reflects in my boxblade.

I dont have the sort of equipment to handle 10, 15 and 20 mm metal pieces in an appropriate way. (besides the occasional thing)

So i figured they were more efficient, better quality and knowing what they were doing so should build something better at lower cost.

more here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/146726-custom-made-boxblade.html#post1693393

I could have done it myself but just calculating the metal parts and having them cut to size (you dont want to attack these plates with your handheld grinder) would already have cost me more than what i paid now.

So , if you have the time and tools why not? But as economy is low it is a great time to make deals and get proffesional fabricated things for less.

:)

/ BOX BLADE BUILD? #3  
Cost = materials?

or...

Cost = materials+Time?

Another consideration, which is different from person to person, is the user's definition of "slap one together". My slap would be about 20-30 hrs. What's your slap?

I bought my 6' used BB for $300. Couldn't build one for that by my system!

I think a great project would be a rolling or sliding dump scraper, of which I've seen one done here. That would be one fun slap!

/ BOX BLADE BUILD? #4  
I built mine as I could not find even a conventional box here. But I really liked the versatility of a roll-over. I could not see myself liking getting on and off to raise and lower the scarifiers and I do not yet have rear remotes to make on hydraulic so a roll over seemed the best way to go. What is most important for your point is that I used all hand tools and nothing special. I only cheated once and had the main blade bent at a shop that has a big brake.

I felt that I had a need and set out to do it. It was not so hard, but it did take some time. I chronicled the build here on TBN. The link is in my signature. I had fun doing it and would do it again if I had a need. I have modified the top-link connection so that it fit my quick hitch that I made. That information is in the QH link below.

I definitely paid far less than the equivalent blade would cost in the States, but I also had the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Mike

Attachments

• Rollover.jpg
    Rollover.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 733
Last edited:
   / BOX BLADE BUILD?
20 TO 30 HOURS!!!!:eek:
once the peices where laying in front of you i can see myself spending maybe 2-3 hours at the most welding and cleaning up.
I would "borrow" the measurments from another box blade, and purchase the "teeth". At this point its just an idea, probably just drop the 450 and buy one

/ BOX BLADE BUILD? #6  
Yea I do not think that I spent that amount of time in the original build. And I had to make the teeth too. Well all told I probably did have 20 hours, maybe.

Mike

/ BOX BLADE BUILD? #7  
once the peices where laying in front of you i can see myself spending maybe 2-3 hours at the most welding and cleaning up.
I would "borrow" the measurments from another box blade, and purchase the "teeth". At this point its just an idea, probably just drop the 450 and buy one

I'd probably spend 5 hrs designing it. I'd then spend about 5 nights x 2.5 hrs then a day on a weekend. That adds up to about 25 hrs.

It'd have hyd scarifiers, cutting edges and be 6' wide. It would be heavy, straight and true. Dimensionally, it'd be perfect. It would have a nice shiny finish. And a beer holder.

Remember, I wouldn't be production oriented, I'd be ticknerin' and having fun!

/ BOX BLADE BUILD? #8  
It pays to shop around too..

Got my 5' box blade with 2" hitchball on it for only $150. The owner owns horse stable and got a bigger one by 1 ft so he sold it cheap.. Listing was on Craig's List..

Also found a 4' Wood RM-59 finished mower for $150. The seller didn't think it was any good and require some serious works. I took my chance and turned out it only needed greasing and runs great!

Got 6' Howse bushhog for $150 too but it was on eBay... Seller thought gearbox was bad and warned I would need to invest few hundred dollars on new one.. turned out that it took some hammering to get it turning and a little gear oil (90W) to run smoothly. I grinded the blade to sharp and it slices anything in its path that is up to 6" in diameter.

So it wouldn't hurt to shop around for used blade.. as someone pointed out economy is bad someone will be desperate for cash and is a good time to drive a good bargain.. check craig's list or ebay or local trader magazine.. some good deal is out there!

/ BOX BLADE BUILD? #10  

Its funny you bring this up because i want to do the same for my bx24. I have the material and time at work, so its a no brainer for me. I just have to get all the measurements and ideas together....