3 point log skidder/multi purpose

/ 3 point log skidder/multi purpose #1  

RAF

This is my first implement I made for the new to me L3750. Not finished yet but had to try it out. I'm going to put a receiver on the bottom and some angle braces. Next is a set of forks for the FEL to load the trailer. I drug these two logs about a 1/4 mile down the road. :D

Attachments

• IMG_4050.JPG
    IMG_4050.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 1,202
  • IMG_4052.JPG
    IMG_4052.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 1,836
  • IMG_4053.JPG
    IMG_4053.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 1,391
   / 3 point log skidder/multi purpose #3  
Very nice!

What state did you buy that tractor from? Because we sold one a few years back to a guy in VA.

Kyle

/ 3 point log skidder/multi purpose #4  
This one's been working fine for many years.

Attachments

• log hauler.jpg
    log hauler.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 1,774
   / 3 point log skidder/multi purpose
Very nice!

What state did you buy that tractor from? Because we sold one a few years back to a guy in VA.

Kyle

The tractor has been living across the street from me for at least 7 years.

/ 3 point log skidder/multi purpose
ToadHill, Have you had any luck with tongs? I tried a set today. It did ok with the first log (very straight piece 24' long). Second log (not very straight 26' long) couldn't get them to stay. Kept coming off when log rolled. I think I'll stick with chain for the most part.

/ 3 point log skidder/multi purpose #7  
At a minimum, you need a second chain from the bottom of that log forward to the drawbar. The way the log is rigged in your pics, with the 3PH up in the air, if the log hangs up on something, all the pull force from the tractor will be directed to a point well above the toplink on the tractor. This is a recipe for disaster and could cause the tractor to wheelie over backwards. I have drug enough logs thru the woods to know that they can and will get caught on things.

The rear overturn videos down the page a ways on this website show the situation pretty well.

Tractor Overturn, H.J. Sommer III

A chain attached to the drawbar should give a lower path for the pull force and help to reduce this risk/slow the speed at which the front end comes up. If both chains become tight however, the pull force will be somewhere between the two attach points, but still lower than just being attached to the top alone. Ideally, your rig should apply ALL the pull force to the drawbar. This should cause any hangup to exceed the traction available from the tractor and cause the wheels to spin(non event). The above website shows a properly rigged drawbar pull(loss of traction)... If I were regularly dragging logs, I would use a setup that only attaches to the drawbar when pulling.

I could show you a sketch of how I would do it if you like.

Be safe.

/ 3 point log skidder/multi purpose #8  
RAF I've had no luck with tongs, the chain on the hitch has one large end that will allow the chain to slide through it acting like a cinch. I lift the log only about a foot off the ground and that keeps the weight at the same hight as the draw bar.

/ 3 point log skidder/multi purpose #9  
Ronmar,

If you could provide the sketch I am sure we all would like to see it, I have a similar skidder attachment and hook the chain to the top and then another onto two hooks that I have in parallel to the drawbar.

-Mike

/ 3 point log skidder/multi purpose #10  
hi mcd176, I believe this picture shows the rigging that Ronmar is describing. All the pulling force is applied to the True drawbar, only the weight lifted effects the front ends want to rise. Actually when pulling, the force tends to help keep the front end down = advantage of the low pull point.

Attachments

• bipod_4inch_pull_04.JPG
    bipod_4inch_pull_04.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,245