How to attach ripper teeth

/ How to attach ripper teeth #1  

JoelD

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs TLB, 2004
HI all, I've got replacement teeth for my box blade rippers, as the originals either broke or ripped off. The originals were crimp on and the replacement look to be pegged on. How should I go about attaching the new teeth?

Thank you,
Joel

Attachments

• CIMG0222.JPG
    CIMG0222.JPG
    925.8 KB · Views: 1,101
  • CIMG0223.JPG
    CIMG0223.JPG
    983.6 KB · Views: 1,143
   / How to attach ripper teeth #2  
They just crimp on also the hole is just to make it simpler to peen them in if the saftey police don't catch you take a ball peen hammer put the round part in the hole and smack it with a bigger hammer that is how we have always done it

/ How to attach ripper teeth #3  
I think I would double check and make sure I had gotten the correct ones or not ;)

Troy

/ How to attach ripper teeth #4  
How should I go about attaching the new teeth?

Joel, I have bought dozens of those kind of teeth from AgriSupply. Some
are made in China, some are from India. I weld them on to the shanks for
box scrapers and my custom-made shanks. For the BBs, the crimped-on
teeth often come off and get lost. I do not weld all the way around, just
each side behind the crimp hole. That way, if the tooth breaks, there
are only two cuts to be made with your grinder to remove the old tooth.

/ How to attach ripper teeth #5  
tooth.jpg

1) place tooth over shank
2) place "tail" (part circled) over dimple of shank
3) take torch heat that corner up till its cherry red
4) place round end of ball peen hammer over cherry tail
5) beat the hammer end of the ball peen with a 2-3lb sledge (note this is not a sissy job, this is a reach back and beat the ever living pi$$ out of it job)

it helps to have a helper hold the ball peen hammer so you can hold the torch in one hand and swing the sledge in the other.

you will NOT be able to dimple the tail of the tooth without heating it up first!

success looks like

tooth_pin.jpg

/ How to attach ripper teeth
Thank you very much guys, I am really glad I posted prior to drilling.

I used my shop press (one of the most usefull presents the boss has given me, other than the mini-boss of course) and I used a strong bolt, put the shank and tooth into the press, squashed with the bolt and dimpled it in perfectly, I think it should hold find.

dfk, if one should come off (I've got two more spares) I'll use the welding idea, I had thought of that, but was hesitant until now I know someone else has done it with success.

I did have to cut one of the old one off as I could not uncrimp without destroying more than my junk screwdrivers. I don't know what I'd do without my cutting wheel.

I've repaired both and thank you all for the advice, I saw the hole in the tooth and I imediately thought I'd have to drill through the shank, thinking, man that would really weaken the shank.

Thanks again,
Joel

tooth.jpg

1) place tooth over shank
2) place "tail" (part circled) over dimple of shank
3) take torch heat that corner up till its cherry red
4) place round end of ball peen hammer over cherry tail
5) beat the hammer end of the ball peen with a 2-3lb sledge (note this is not a sissy job, this is a reach back and beat the ever living pi$$ out of it job)

it helps to have a helper hold the ball peen hammer so you can hold the torch in one hand and swing the sledge in the other.

you will NOT be able to dimple the tail of the tooth without heating it up first!

success looks like

tooth_pin.jpg
\

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions!!!

I'll try to post the finished product.

Joel

Here they are fixed.

Joel

Attachments

• CIMG0224.JPG
    CIMG0224.JPG
    962.9 KB · Views: 988
  • CIMG0225.JPG
    CIMG0225.JPG
    912.7 KB · Views: 675
  • CIMG0226.JPG
    CIMG0226.JPG
    962.3 KB · Views: 975
  • CIMG0227.JPG
    CIMG0227.JPG
    969.2 KB · Views: 1,255
   / How to attach ripper teeth #9  
looks good, now we need action shots

/ How to attach ripper teeth #10  
I had advice to use a ball peen hammer and a heavy hand hammer to set the dimples. No luck, could not get them tight so...I used the ball peen hammer and my HYDRAULIC press. WOW! I do recommend using a press. Perhaps you know a shop that has one
Ed Lancaster