plasma cutter really?

/ plasma cutter really? #1  

sizzami

Silver Member
Tractor
kioti dk 45
with expensive consumables and finicky operation does anyone really love plasma in a home workshop for thicker ga? versus a torch for the money , we have a 60 amp hypertherm and I use it for only 11 ga and down because if I get even a little water in the air it curfs badly anyone else have this problem? I know Ideally I should use nitrogen but who can afford it?

/ plasma cutter really? #2  
with expensive consumables and finicky operation does anyone really love plasma in a home workshop for thicker ga? versus a torch for the money , we have a 60 amp hypertherm and I use it for only 11 ga and down because if I get even a little water in the air it curfs badly anyone else have this problem? I know Ideally I should use nitrogen but who can afford it?

A Motor Guard Filter will solve most of your problems, and is cheaper that Nitrogen in the long run...Do a Google search on "motor guard"

Having a 60A PC and only using on 11ga is crazy!

Last edited:
   / plasma cutter really? #3  
Real dry and oil free air is all you really need. Many types of filters. Water separators, desiccant beads that absorb water and change color, etc.

What water does is to spread the arc, and that eats up the consumables. You already have a 3 to 5 degree cone.

/ plasma cutter really?
crazy I knew it thanks that explains alot:D . I am just saying I can buy ac torches and take them out into the woods and cut 1"plate

I forgot that I use it on ss and alluminum too
but the question still remains ,for the money, in a home shop is a plasma ahead of say, a milling machine or lathe, in the I want list nothing beats a plasma for rusty or painted steel

/ plasma cutter really? #5  
Good question, I have plasma and no mill or lathe with no plans for either at this time but I have cut alot of metal with my plasma, so I would say it all depends on what you do or will be doing in your shop as to what your need is.

/ plasma cutter really? #6  
We have a farm machine shop with a mill, lathe, surface grinder, baby radial drill and many of the other shop toys. We also have a welding shop with MIG, TIG, Stick, and OA.

We don't have a plasma yet but are looking at getting one for the shop. I think all the machines and tools have their place but if I had to rate the usefulness plasma would fall lower on my list than the mill, lathe, radial drill and other machine shop tools.

It also depends on what you already have, we have a metal cutting circular saw, a large metal cutting band saw, and a cutting torch. If we didn't already have these tools a plasma would be much higher on the list.

Erik

/ plasma cutter really? #7  
most plasmas have a small regulator on them, also add a small filter to the front side wil help a lot with the quality of cut. put it right on the mach, that way you can use it anywhere AIR is avail. Keep the wear down on the tip by only setting mach to amp required for the material U are cutting.
Mark

/ plasma cutter really? #8  
I love mine...!! I have a Lincoln Pro Cut 55 like JJ's.. I use it more for precision cuts, I'm just not that great, or steady with a torch. I use a straight edge of 3/8" wide X 3/16 thick.. Just line the straight edge up a 1/4" away from the intended cut, and have at it... I also got the circle cutter attachment for it... And I've used it enough to justify it. There have been a few things out of stainless I have cut... And have done a few aluminum things too...
I got the 50' leads on it... Sometimes a PIA to wrap up, but sweet, to just keep going out the door of the shop.
Plus..., seems I always ran out of gas, or oxygen on a Saturday when the welding supply place is closed... Usually an emergency repair on the weekend...
I have been known in this case, to fire up the ole' Lincoln 180 to wide open, and burn the rest off, with 6011's... Gotta' do, what you gotta' do...

/ plasma cutter really? #9  
If I had the money for such things,I'd love to have one (along with a Corvette, a jet and a model girlfriend)...but I don't. So a better lathe and a mill are much much higher on the list.

/ plasma cutter really? #10  
I use mine all the time, only time I use a torch anymore is for bending or rusty bolts.
I find it much easier to buy tips rather than load my tanks to have them filled.....
Dry Air.....I use a filter that holds a roll of toilet paper, I also do quality paint work
and this filter has served me well for years!
I also have a standard water trap along with air line drops that catch water.
Clean dry air is a must in my shop.
It may sound silly but the toilet paper filter really dose a very good job!
Gene